Wet weather tyres for hybrid/commuter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Funtboy

Hi there, I've just got into cycling and have picked up one of these (second hand I might add):

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gary-fisher/mendota-2008-hybrid-bike-ec000623?style=71140

I'm looking to buy some wet weather tyres for it in anticipation of our glorious winter but don't know what size to ask for. Can anyone fill me in. Also if you could recommend a tyre as well that would be great. Do I ask for the same size in inner-tube as I want to carry a spare as well? Sorry, my knowledge is very patchy.

Many thanks in advance...

domtyler

Über Member
Why do you need special tyres for the wet? I'm pretty sure all tyres are water proof nowadays. And how do you know it is going to be a wet winter anyway?

OP
OP
Funtboy

Funtboy

domtyler said:
Why do you need special tyres for the wet? I'm pretty sure all tyres are water proof nowadays. And how do you know it is going to be a wet winter anyway?

:blush: Yeah cheers, what was I thinking? I'll bear that in mind as go skidding across Elephant and Castle on me arse.

domtyler

Über Member
Funtboy said:
:blush: Yeah cheers, what was I thinking? I'll bear that in mind as go skidding across Elephant and Castle on me arse.

?? What tyres are you using at the moment?

Dom is (occasionally) an peanut, but on this occasion, despite his sarcastic reply, he's more or less right. Unless your tyres are worn down to lining and you're cycling at speed on a turn on some road paint, you probably won't come off due to lack of grip. You're more likely to need to change them due to nicks and lumps out of them from the road surface. You'd be better off putting full mudguards on it, they'll do a lot more for you and the bike. In any event, here's the bit of the spec that you need, in bold:

Frame: Gold Series butted aluminum hybrid - Forks: Bontrager Satellite Elite Carbon disc - Gears: Shimano Deore front and SRAM X7 rear derailleur - Shifters: SRAM X5 - Chainset: Shimano 48/38/28 Octalink - Brakes: Avid BB5 mechanical disc - Wheels: Bontrager Select Disc Road - Tyres: Bontrager Satellite Plus 700x32c - Handlebars: Bontrager Approved - Stem: Bontrager Sport 10d - Saddle: Bontrager Select City - Seatpost: Bontrager Select - Pedals/Extras: Alloy and nylon platform

OP
OP
Funtboy

Funtboy

Tharg2007 said:
i have continental ultra gators 700x23 and I plan to use them all through the winter, wet or dry.

Would they fit my bike?

Top Bottom