We've got the biggest bonfire today

TVC

Guest
There's a plastics factory on the industrial estate near M1 J21 in Leicester. Or at least there was, for the past couple of hours it's been converting itself to thick black smoke and spreading itself all over south Leicestershire. We're about 2 miles away to the east and it's blocking out a good bit of the sky. The poor peeps of Enderby and Blaby are right underneath it, it must be rank.

Anyway, that's my excitement for the day.
 

Mark_Robson

Senior Member
I don't pretend to know the nature of the plastics involved, but a lot of plastics give off some pretty toxic fumes so if the wind changes direction I would suggest that you keep your doors and windows closed.
 

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Mark_Robson said:
I don't pretend to know the nature of the plastics involved, but a lot of plastics give off some pretty toxic fumes so if the wind changes direction I would suggest that you keep your doors and windows closed.
I would suggest you lock the house, get on your bike and ride somewhere upwind - to a relative/friend for the night?
 
OP
T

TVC

Guest
Looks like it's about out now, that smoke must have been pretty toxic, and it seems nobody was hurt which is the most important thing.
 

Arch

Married to Night Train
Location
Salford, UK
The Velvet Curtain said:
Looks like it's about out now, that smoke must have been pretty toxic, and it seems nobody was hurt which is the most important thing.
I'm glad it's all out now, Mum will be driving past in about two hours on her way home...

Before I read the report, I assumed you meant Mattel - the thought of all those Barbies melting...
 

Globalti

Legendary Member
In the second video it's well ablaze, which isn't surprising when you watch the gallant Fire Brigade in the first video.... doing absolutely nothing!
 

ELL

Über Member
TBH I think it would have been far to dangerous for them to enter the building. All the highly flammable and explosive stuff in Homebase makes it one of those places you just cant enter when its ablaze. I think they were concentrating their efforts on that part of the building to stop the fire spreading to the attached units.
 

Mark_Robson

Senior Member
Globalti said:
In the second video it's well ablaze, which isn't surprising when you watch the gallant Fire Brigade in the first video.... doing absolutely nothing!
The Fire Brigade will not risk their peoples lives to save property. If there is a potential for items like bottled gas, solvents or chemicals to cause to explode then they will allow the fire to burn itself out in a controlled way rather than risk lives trying to tackle it. And quite rightly so.

An example of a small blevy,

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVFrTDsO-Dw
 
Globalti said:
In the second video it's well ablaze, which isn't surprising when you watch the gallant Fire Brigade in the first video.... doing absolutely nothing!

Funny it looks like they have got at least 2 jets working to me.

I would say that what your seeing is probably the first attendance. Which if your lucky would be two pumps and maybe 8 firefighters. However in some areas it is highly likely the you would get 1 pump and 4 firefighters, (depending on the information received).
Again (and its my opinion as I wasnt there) its highly likely that the initial OIC has sent an assistance message, asking for more resources to be deployed. So until the cavalry arrives, in the shape of further pumps and aerial appliances (if that brigade has any), theres not a lot more he can do.
There is also the problem of water. In a lot of areas water companies do not maintain high mains pressure all the time. With each appliance being capable of pumping between 500 and 1000 gallons per minute, its not long before the mains supply is over-run. Again the OIC must ask for the water company to increase mains pressure and flow rate, this all takes time.

Mark is completely right in his assumptions. There is not a building on this planet that is worth the life of anyone, nevermind a firefighter.

Before you run off at the mouth its always wise to be at least a little informed.:biggrin:
 

Maz

Legendary Member
The Velvet Curtain said:
There's a plastics factory on the industrial estate near M1 J21 in Leicester. Or at least there was, for the past couple of hours it's been converting itself to thick black smoke and spreading itself all over south Leicestershire. We're about 2 miles away to the east and it's blocking out a good bit of the sky. The poor peeps of Enderby and Blaby are right underneath it, it must be rank.

Anyway, that's my excitement for the day.
It was a massive fire, wasn't it! I saw it close up as I had just joined the M69 driving southbound.
 
Top Bottom