What A Lazy Cyclist I Used To Be

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BSRU

A Human Being
At the beginning of the year, I used last years distance information to set myself a target to aim for.
I decided on 5140 km, 60% more than last year, which at the time I thought was going to be hard to reach.
It is distance greater than my distance covered in my first three years of cycle commuting, although they were very fair weather commuting years.

But today, with three and a half months of the year remaining I have just past that milestone.
It has made me realise how much of a lazy git I must have been last year, taking the easy option, the car, far to often where as this year I have taken the car just six times, which have been to pick up very heavy parcels from work or on days I was too ill to ride safely.

A good excuse to celebrate with a few shandy's later.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Ha ha. I also set a soft target (with hindsight) as witnessed HERE. I was aiming to try and squeeze in a 1000 miles in 2011. I am currently at 1800 so unless I get incapacitated tomorrow I should easily double my expectations.

Well, look at how much you have improved, by last years standard you were less knowledgable and less fit, so lazyness may not have been the only issue, although it could have been.

Jezston

Über Member
I worked out how many km I would have done by the end of the year if I carry on at my current rate.

10,000km.

No wonder I keep wearing everything out!

OP
OP
BSRU

BSRU

A Human Being
Why are you all counting in Km? We live in the UK where the mile is the standard unit of road distance or is it to make the numbers sound bigger?

Cruising along at 40 sounds better than cruising along at 25.;)

I have always used the metric system, it's what I was taught at school and use at work, it's alot easier.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I've completed 51,400,000,000,000,000 angstroms.

Nice one BSRU. I work in the semiconductor manufacture industry (like Silicon Valley, California, but just outside Stockport). We measure product layer thickness in angstroms and I haven't encountered any mention of the units outside of work.

And that is an impressive distance you have covered there (I think?:wacko: )

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm 400 miles down this year - managed to get within 100 miles a few months back. I put that down to two sportives I didn't ride (none this year) and 7 weeks operation recovery.

Been riding the long way home on a regular basis to catch up!

Good results there BSRU

Tynan

Veteran
I worked out how many km I would have done by the end of the year if I carry on at my current rate.

10,000km.

No wonder I keep wearing everything out!

I hear that, commute along takes me over 5,000 miles, tyres, brakes and running gear

I'm riding an utterly shagged chain/ring/cassette like an old lady to avoid an accident, no sudden pressure on the pedals, I do still get up to speed but veery slowly, anything reckless like changing gear with pressure on the pedals, pulling away with th egear not fully engaged or pulling away with anything other than the style of an old woman involves the chain slipping or coming off, it's making partial contact with about a third of the (worn) teeth on the chainring that it should, one more week to go till payday ...

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I set a rather ambitious target, and as you can see below I am well on track to failing dismally! :cry:

This is recreational riding only, I don't commute. So I've obviously been a lazy cow at weekends when I should have been getting those miles in!

Jezston

Über Member
Nice one BSRU. I work in the semiconductor manufacture industry (like Silicon Valley, California, but just outside Stockport). We measure product layer thickness in angstroms and I haven't encountered any mention of the units outside of work.

And that is an impressive distance you have covered there (I think?:wacko: )

Nah it's only about 2 feet ;)

Top Bottom