What a shock...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leodis

Veteran
There I was pootling along, no rush home along a cycle path which is quite nice for an urban area... :bicycle:the next thing I know some fella on a MTB bike comes wizzing past and scared me half to death.. I went :whistle::eek::cursing::angry::blush:

Anyone else experience this unexpected horror/scare?

Friz

The more you ride, the less your ass will hurt.
Yeah. In the reverse. I seem to always be the scarer rather than the scaree. I even try to warn them. But if I shout too far away they don't hear. If I leave it too long they jump more. (Which has it's own reward).

I refuse to put a bell on...

Moodyman

Legendary Member
That's the problem with you Leeds lot. Always head down and in a rush. You wanna get over to neighbouring Bratfurd. We're much friendlier.

The guy will have whistled gently as he approached you to let you know he was there, then slowed down by your side and commented on how nice your bike was and what a lovely day it was. Then, he'd have pedalled on after exchanging niceties and left you rejoicing in cycling nirvana.

Was it really a man on a MTB? Not a old lady on a shopper that you don't want to admit to? :biggrin:
I've done it by accident to other cyclists and made them jump and it's been done to me, I do now go wide or let them know I'm there before! Although I've never had an mtb overtaker, always them damn road bikes with super fit athletic riders *cough* :whistle:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
:laugh: I get pounced upon by the lycra cladded lot, batman style. Haven't they heard of bells??? Most annoying, I say!

There I was pootling along, no rush home along a cycle path which is quite nice for an urban area... :bicycle:the next thing I know some fella on a MTB bike comes wizzing past and scared me half to death.. I went :whistle::eek::cursing::angry::blush:

Anyone else experience this unexpected horror/scare?

This morning actually where a fellow commuter wanted to get in front, always make me jump them:blush:

OP
OP
Leodis

Leodis

Veteran
Was it really a man on a MTB? Not a old lady on a shopper that you don't want to admit to? :biggrin:
I've done it by accident to other cyclists and made them jump and it's been done to me, I do now go wide or let them know I'm there before! Although I've never had an mtb overtaker, always them damn road bikes with super fit athletic riders *cough* :whistle:

It might have been, the silver flash might have been her hair not a Dunlop lid

RoadieT

That's the problem with you Leeds lot. Always head down and in a rush. You wanna get over to neighbouring Bratfurd. We're much friendlier.

The guy will have whistled gently as he approached you to let you know he was there, then slowed down by your side and commented on how nice your bike was and what a lovely day it was. Then, he'd have pedalled on after exchanging niceties and left you rejoicing in cycling nirvana.

This happened to me at some lights the other day, (in Leeds). The fine fellow asked me what frame I was on, very pleasant chat, made my morning.

OP
OP
Leodis

Leodis

Veteran
It is great with you get a INR back, mostly in Leeds I look and give a INR which goes ignored. There is a fellow near me he has a rest at the top of a hill and if I am on early shift we have a chat and discuss the ride and other things.

Theres 3 guys I see, I wont say where to save their embarressment if they are here, who obviously like a bit of SCR. I have to thank you as you really brighten my morning when I see you all competing with each other:thumbsup:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I've given up calling warning to riders as (or before I pass) as it seems to be too often interpreted as aggression. I've often been sitting at the lights as the "passed" rider pulls up and either gives me the evils or actually comments.

If I perceive real hazard in passing (like on a thin pathway, or perhaps canal side) then I would make an effort. But otherwise Ijust try to give it plenty of room and press on.

I've given up calling warning to riders as (or before I pass) as it seems to be too often interpreted as aggression. I've often been sitting at the lights as the "passed" rider pulls up and either gives me the evils or actually comments.

If I perceive real hazard in passing (like on a thin pathway, or perhaps canal side) then I would make an effort. But otherwise Ijust try to give it plenty of room and press on.

The canals a good example and I've made many a sarky comment 'I like your bell' if someone zooms by..... On the road I don't mind so much, still surprises me a bit though like:blush:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Theres 3 guys I see, I wont say where to save their embarressment if they are here, who obviously like a bit of SCR. I have to thank you as you really brighten my morning when I see you all competing with each other:thumbsup:

Won't be me. Anyone I pass always gets a 'hello'.

Do I engage in SCR. Erm ... :whistle: :shy:

Top Bottom