what are the little holes for…

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
They were to allow braising gasses to escape - frame builders would fill them after.

Before you fill it, give the tube insides a good squirt with wd or something - for rustproofing....(if steel)

ASC1951

Guru
mickle said:
Nope. They are there to accept screw-in drop-out length adjusters. I have them on my Super, I'll get a pic of them tomorrow if I remember.
Yes, if they are exactly where he says i.e. on the back curve of the dropout. OTOH if he just means at the end of the chainstay tube they will indeed be breather holes. Several of my bikes have them (including one with threaded dropout holes).

jimboalee

I have dropouts with threaded holes at the very rear.
They are not across the dropout, but parallel with the dropout.

They have long threaded pins which hold plastic buffers in the dropout.
For setting the alignment of the spindle to assist quick wheel replacement.

Is this what you have?

fossyant

Doh - is that what you meant - the holes on the drop out..ah thought you meant in the frame. Adjusters are getting hard to find, but have a look on ebay, or try SJS !

Got mine off ebay...

Called "drop out adjuster"

Fiona N

Veteran
alecstilleyedye said:
sounds like it jimbo, but without the bits and pieces you describe. wish i had them, they sound useful.

I've probably got a pair somewhere as my Roberts steel frame which had these adjusters has bitten the dust.

Let me check and get back to you :wacko:

fossyant

These ere...........
DSCF2695.jpg

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Those little screws aren't exactly Hi Tech. I don't know what threads are used but if you can get the correct bit of threaded rod it'll be fine. Usually they have a removeable head (at the rear) with a flat plate in the drop out with swivel. I think the latter is to protect the threads on the axle. But I'm sure a well placed piece of plastic would do the trick for a "normal" scew.

Top Bottom