What are these?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
4920998540_610efa1ef8_b.jpg

Just got my bike back from a service, and when wheeling it round the back of the house i hear this weird sound every so often. and it's these things traveling up and down the spokes of my front wheel.

delstron

Just got my bike back from a service, and when wheeling it round the back of the house i hear this weird sound every so often. and it's these things traveling up and down the spokes of my front wheel.

They look like the spoke 'nipples' that have broken off, check on the spokes with and without these loose and check at the rim.

Have a look at - http://en.wikipedia....ki/Spoke_nipple

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
So what should i do? is it dangerous as it is? the spokes still feel fine.

i got my bike back from the shop today, and if this isn't right and potentially dangerous then i want them to fix it free of charge and ASAP.

delstron

So what should i do? is it dangerous as it is? the spokes still feel fine.

i got my bike back from the shop today, and if this isn't right and potentially dangerous then i want them to fix it free of charge and ASAP.

It isn't right and if they came back from the shop like that, take it back and ask them to sort it.

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
On further inspection, the loose bit appears to be half of the spoke nipple, the part which is a square and I presume you use this to tighten / loosen the nipple. Which you now can't do because it is broken.

Jezston

Über Member
Back to the shop it is then!

I'd be having words asking them why they felt it was acceptable to hand a bicycle back to a customer in that condition, and if they could proffer any good reasons as to why you should bring them any further business.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Jezston, what's at the top end of the spoke? If it's an intact nipple, your bike should still be safe to ride. If it's missing the part with the wrench flats (the bit that appears to be loose on the spoke), take it easy if you ride to the shop!

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
This is how it looks at the rim end.

4922778833_00e7633b1a_b.jpg

Jezston

Über Member
Jezston, what's at the top end of the spoke? If it's an intact nipple, your bike should still be safe to ride. If it's missing the part with the wrench flats (the bit that appears to be loose on the spoke), take it easy if you ride to the shop!

I dunno - Gaz, what do you think? ;)

Back to the shop with that wheel. The wheel may be safe, but due to sloppy workmanship you're now not able to adjust tension on those broken spokes. The reduced amount of thread held by the broken nipples may be a weak spot.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Looks like the nipples have sheared off at the point where the thread starts when the LBS has tried to tighten the spokes up.

To be fair this is down to manufacture I would have thought - although the LBS should have alerted this to you.

Suggest you get some decent DT nipples and get the LBS to re-build the wheel as a compromise - unless of course you bought the wheel from there in the first place.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Sorry Jezston!

Gaz, that's *very* poor - those spokes can't be adjusted now, which to my mind is unacceptable (let alone the point made by others that those spokes are gripped by less thread now). The shop need to make that good for you, either by replacing the broken spoke nipples or nipple and spoke.

Top Bottom