What are those cheap (good value!) dual front lights?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrahamG

Guru
You know the dual halogen (?) models with rechargeable battery pack? I've got a fellow commuter here who plans to keep it up through winter but he has a mostly unlit towpath commute. He only does about 3 miles each way though so nothing demanding on the lights at all.

domtyler

Über Member
Stay away from dark unlit tow paths in winter, they are typically frequented by yoofs with baseball bats and other unsavoury types.

OP
OP
G

GrahamG

Guru
This sections OK; runs through the (only) posh side of Brum! One of those few paths that is used so well that this isn't too much of a risk.

OP
OP
G

GrahamG

Guru
LOL - thanks for the link, couldn't remember the brand!

Paul, it's Harborne/Edgbaston into Brum, I think he gets on the towpath a bit after Selly Oak.

I say the posh side because the west of Birmingham is the only direction you can travel right out to the green belt without going through any shithole areas. Next best is South where it's a very small inner city bit and the shitholes really aren't that shitty :blush: Any other direction - fugghedaboutit!

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Mine gradually developed problems with the connections and had to be bodged with tin foil, and then I ended up cooking the battery by accidentally overcharging it. The connections were probably my fault anyway as they were being pulled on a little too much by the way I had attached the cabling around the top tube and the handlebar stem.

When I ordered a new lamp fitting from CRC in the spring, they made a mistake with the order and when they sorted it out, they sent me a free set of Electron lights as an apology. I've therefore got a brand new Electron lighting system for this winter :blush:

I used a set of those last year, 5w and 10w, mine had a lead acid battery which was heavy and needed charging every or every other night.

They worked ok on unlit woodland trails, I also use/d a petzl headlamp, which I wouldn't be without.

This year I have so far just used the petzl and a 3w torch, the dual lights are ok but a bit of a faff.

alfablue

I have used several low-end light systems.

I have both the Smart and Electrons (which are at a good price at Allterraincycles).

The Smarts cost me £25 (SJS on eBay) so are about the best you can get for the money. They are heavy, the bracket flexes quite a lot (its secure, but they bounce around a bit), and the battery needs careful charging (I got a £3 plug-in timer to ensure I didn't overcharge.

The Electrons are smaller, neater and have a much lighter and better NiMH battery, and also a better mounting in the bottle cage. Downsides were the lamp mountings tended to loosen so the lights went floppy - easily fixed with threadlock, and the plugs pulled out of the lights fairly easily - fixed by swapping l light with r light so plugs were on the inside. Apart from this I had no problems with durability.

I have also used a Cateye ABS 10 (mounting fell apart and lost spring).

I'm now using a Dinotte 5w Ultra.

Overall, for around £40 the electrons are probably best. The Dinotte was £85 and worth the extra.

turbo tim

Smart twin halogen jobbie for me. had them two years and still going strong. Never worried too much about the time on charge, often left them on charge all day and not noticed any deterioration in battery life. As others have said, a bit heavy but bright enough to ride on unlit country roads. Good value.

Top Bottom