what backpack?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

2good

looking for a backpack for my 8 mile commute

need to carry spare clothes (1 weeks worth on a monday!... i leave shoes at work so just trousers, tshirts, boxers and socks!), and food the rest of the week

needs to be waterproof and pref have a high viz cover for the dark monring/nights

cheers

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Why not use panniers?
It looks like you will have a lot on your back on monday to Friday. That can be quite uncomfortable on a summers day.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Another vote for panniers.

You can carry more and it is less strain on the shoulders etc and you avoid sweaty back syndrome.

Weight is also lower down so it more stable than having the weight higher up.

Norm

I use a Lowe Alpine Airzone, which I think is a fantastic system.

It has a fairly solid frame which is held off the back, so things don't dig into your kidneys or ribs (although always take care when packing anything and make sure you'd be happy landing on it if you come off!) but it doesn't get too sweaty. It has a chest strap and a waist strap so it sits solidly and securely, a bright orange waterproof cover as well as reflective strips, two main compartments with three outside compartments (for the dirty / sweaty stuff), it's narrow so it doesn't hit your shoulders and doesn't get in the way when you are looking behind. I use it more than my panniers.

dhb Elsted is a superb rucksack if you can find one. Been using mine for around 3 years and it does everything I need for my commute, and you can even put a bladder in it for hydration on hot days :thumbsup:

I've considered panniers in the past, but always been put off by the belief my size 13 shoes would hit them on each pedal stroke! Don't know if they would but it's just something I've always thought would be happen.

Any other big foots out there use panniers and able to dispel or confirm my thoughts on panniers?

Tyke

Lots of rucksacks have an Air Back which is just a plastic frame between you and the sack but is bent to allow some air flow in between, it makes things so much better on reducing the wet back.

I have a Defy as well, you have mounting points for both rack and mudguards.

Giant Defy only guards can be used with the eyelets on the chain\seatstays but there are no rackmount points up at the top, so unless you use a rack that joins to the brake bolt...

Also, the chainstays are pretty short...so a rucksack which has some kind of airflow system to hold it off of the back is
my preference.

Holdsworth

Über Member
Or how about a Carradice saddlebag? No need for frame eyelets or mudguards clearances and no chance of you hitting the bag with the back of your feet. Not cheap though, expect to pay £50-80 for a bag and the Q/R mounting system which I find pretty much essential for commuting as it makes mounting and removal so much easier and quicker.

I managed fine for months using the Lowsaddle Longflap which holds 15 litres up until I got my new bike which can take panniers back at the end of May. Plenty of space for all of my work essentials and I am confident I could hop back on it and use the bike for commuting if the need arises.

OP
OP

2good

Cheers folks
Its def a backpack.would only b carrying some light clothing and some lunch.was looking at the karrimor ones in sports direct.they had an airflow one for 30 quid.wot u think?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
A carradice. Definitely. And I say that as someone who carries a backpack - but only because I haven't found a laptop bag which works on a Brompton, has room for clothes and papers as well *and* looks respectable in the office.

(Yes, I know....)

I've been looking at this. I have to take shirts/suit/underwear at start of week. It is a tad pricey though.

For me the biggest challenge is getting a suit there that doesn't look like I just slept in it.

Top Bottom