what bike should i use?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

8kphil

got a bit of a dilemma,i commute 15 miles roundtrip everyday in all weather,currently use my kinessis racelight t which i also use on sundays for longer rides,the problem i have is i love riding my kinessis but i dont want to wreck it,(think ive got a bit of ocd about it aswell!) riding it to work and back,im not in a posistion to buy a new bike,should i use,my old gt avalance mountain bike? an old raleigh royal touring bike that needs a bit of work? or just carry on using my kinessis and keep on top of the cleaning maintainance etc? help!

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Erm?
Buy another bike? Optimum number of bikes is always n+1.

Sit down, write down the pros and cons, and work out which one is best for you.

Or:

Try commuting on the mountain bike, and see if you like it.

If not, try the old Raleigh touring bike.

If not, then christmas is coming and get some bike cleaning gear.

To be honest, your choice. Only you know what you like doing, where and how you want to enjoy your cycling, and which bike to use.

For me, a few years ago, it would have been the fun of getting the Raleigh road fit, whilst riding the heaviest to give me some encouragement on the refurb job. The last year or two, I would have gone for the road machine. Now winter is on its way and I have other projects on the go, the mountain bike looks like the best option.

GrasB

Veteran
I'd look at using one or both of the bikes for commuting this way if you've ever got a problem with one of them you can just jump on the other as a backup.

SimonC

8kphil said:
got a bit of a dilemma,i commute 15 miles roundtrip everyday in all weather,currently use my kinessis racelight t which i also use on sundays for longer rides,the problem i have is i love riding my kinessis but i dont want to wreck it,(think ive got a bit of ocd about it aswell!) riding it to work and back,im not in a posistion to buy a new bike,should i use,my old gt avalance mountain bike? an old raleigh royal touring bike that needs a bit of work? or just carry on using my kinessis and keep on top of the cleaning maintainance etc? help!

So do I:smile:

You wont wreck your Kinesis by commuting on it, just wash it occassionally, bit of lube, it will be fine, its made of ally and steel, it can take it. Got to be more enjoyable than slogging away on an old mountain bike.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I would go for buy another bike, if your careful on ebay you can pick up a real bargain and if it is for commuting you do not need the best as long as it is sound .I picked up a tdf 02 last week and for commuting duties its fine .

Spent today installing mudguards and a rack .

SlowJoe

MTB;s are the blacks of dublin

Hello, you don't say what type of commute you do , I'm guessing tarmac being as your using a road bike. Despite what people say don't dismiss the MTB out of hand . I commute on a charge duster eight running Armadillo 1.95 (not knobbly) with an alfine hub and you achieve a decent speed . It really does depend on the MTB . I lock my forks and go and in the winter it is a good option especially if you do go across any rough stuff ( 5 miles of my commute is on a canal.

I have found that there is a lot of opinion on these forum but at the end of the day that is all it is , The weight argument between steel and Aluminium is a very good one experiment and then reach a conclusion .

I would say if the bike is reasoanbly good (Ie a decent transmission) , the right tyres are used all should be good use it for the winter to give the old girl a rest or maybe alternate ?:biggrin:

gbb

Legendary Member
SimonC said:
So do I:smile:

You wont wreck your Kinesis by commuting on it, just wash it occassionally, bit of lube, it will be fine, its made of ally and steel, it can take it. Got to be more enjoyable than slogging away on an old mountain bike.

I'd probably mudguard the Kinesis and use it..it is a winter bike, but i'd do more than wash and lube it occasionally if you want to keep it in good nick through the depths of winter.
Different animal, but my first Bianchi Via Nirone was used through the winter when it was dry. I am lucky enough to work where i can spend time cleaning and lubing the bike every day if i want....i'm not that bad, but probably give the bike more care than most.
I was shocked to find furry corrosion on a under part of the rear stays...the paint had chipped and salt had gotten in. No real big deal, i cleaned it up and laquered it.
Also found the carbon / alloy forks suffered where the carbon joins the alloy at the steerer. I think crud and salt had collected in the brake mount, sat there and got between the alloy and carbon. Again, cleaned it up before any real damage but i was lucky i found it early.
All this happened in one winter season, without me taking the bike out in real cruddy conditions.

Use it, but clean it religiously i'd say.

jimboalee

Sort out that R Royal and weigh it down with big lumps of metal. ( panniers etc ). Fit full mudguards like it's supposed to have.

Use it to commute ( but don't neglect it, keep it well maintained ).
Get them legs burning.

Come the weekend when you take the K out,,,, Wey hey !!! ;)

Rosie

Eep! I was considering buying a Kinesis Racelight mainly for commuting purposes - is this a bad idea? Would you not recommend it then 8kphil?

R
x

gbb

Legendary Member
jimboalee said:
Sort out that R Royal and weigh it down with big lumps of metal. ( panniers etc ). Fit full mudguards like it's supposed to have.

Use it to commute ( but don't neglect it, keep it well maintained ).
Get them legs burning.

Come the weekend when you take the K out,,,, Wey hey !!! ;)

Actually, despite my earlier post, i think i agree.
I use an 8 speed Raleigh Clubman for winter commuting when the weathers bad (and more importantly wet).
The filth you'll pick up on the transmission particually has to be seen to be believed. I remove my 8 speed chain once a week and give it a good blast with an airline...you should see the muck that comes off, and its the same every week through the winter. 9 or 10 speed transmissions ? i wouldnt want to see that abuse on the even lighter chain.

HobbesChoice

I agree. If you love the bike then it would be a shame to have it sitting at home when you can look after it well and keep it in decent condition.

OP
OP

8kphil

thanks for all the replys people! i went on my mtb today! didnt take me any longer than on my kinessis,it was a lot harder work tho,and the gears need looking at! was pulling the cable with my hand to change them on the way home!:thumbsup: just fitted full sks black mud guards to the kinessis tonight,going to use it and see how much protection they actually give,i couldnt recomend the bike highly enough,its a great all round bike anybody considering one go for it. i want to ride mine all the time,i missed it today haha.

SimonC

Rosie said:
Eep! I was considering buying a Kinesis Racelight mainly for commuting purposes - is this a bad idea? Would you not recommend it then 8kphil?

R
x

No problem with Kinesis for winter commute - its not made of papier mache, wont dissolve in the rain. Stick some mudguards on, dont get carbon/alloy forks - known problems with carbon and alloy together - just get all alloy. Wash it once and lube once a week if you like, job done, get on with enjoying riding the bike rather than worrying about it.

Top Bottom