What bike ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moby Jones

I am interested to hear your thoughts what bike you would look at using for my winter commute. I have about 3 miles, pretty much all of it uphill (on the way to work). I need a bike that will handle floods, ice and snow. The roads are not the best, some nice pretty big holes. I need a bike that will be sure footed in poor conditions descending some pretty steep hills in icy and snowing conditions.
I have a nice road bike for the summer and was thinking about picking up a cheap mountain/hybrid bike, i was tempted to go for the mountain bike.
What would you guys use ????

I used to use my Ridgeback velocity (town bike) all year round for my old 3-4 mile commute (all up hill too) and it coped admirably with all conditions, there was a wee bit of sense in my riding which helped, Not going hell for leather on tricky days and selecting a shorter on road route. I didn't pump my tyres up much during winter, I think the lower psi helps too. Quite a few times I got to work would hear/read about folk having an off on the icy path.

Top Bottom