What bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Probably a bit of a repetitive question this. What road bike should I buy? I have owned MTBs for most of my life, never really had the urge to buy a road bike till recently, I want to do more riding but don't have time to drive up to wales to go off road riding as often these days. Don't want to spend a fortune. About 1k. Specialized Allez seems a popular choice, or Trek 2.1. Bike radar says Allez is good but not best in class, what is then. Also thinking about buying a steel frame and building it up, would probably work out more though I guess. Opinions and other options greatly appreciated. Ta

Cubist

Still wavin'
http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-cube-bikes-peloton-race-12-45679

Or try riding local bridleways..... there's more to life that Coed llandegla!

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-cube-bikes-peloton-race-12-45679

Or try riding local bridleways..... there's more to life that Coed llandegla!

Never actually been riding there, even though it's just down the road. The spec on the Peleton is the best I've seen in the price bracket but it's a shame about the comments about stiff and unforgiving ride, that is exactly the sort of thing that is steering me towards a steel frame. Appreciate the input though.

Nearly there

Veteran
Theres some good deals around at the minute especially on 2011 bikes then do you go for carbon or alu frame thats another headache for ya

Mike!

Guru
I'll have a simliar issue later this year, currently saving for my first roadie and aiming for the £1k price bracket too. Want something quick and comfortable, so much choice at that price and you can also get into carbon too...

Past experience (when buying my Specilized Sirrus) means i will definatley test ride and not buy blind, what fits one does not fit another! By all means get some ideas on the web but i'd advise getting out and trying a few you like the look of.

Nebulous

Guru
I have an Allez and love it - however some of the components were a bit shoddy. Cycling plus just did a review of 1k bikes and the giant defy 1 came out top. It has 105 - or shifters and mechs at least.

You can get a great bike for that budget as has already been said, I think the most important factor is to get something that really fits you well, if it looks nice but does not fit you then you will not use it, on the other hand if it fits but looks average you will use it. Loads of people buy bikes on looks then find they are uncomfortable and end up sticking them in the shed never to be seen again.

GetAGrip

Still trying to look cool and not the fool HA
There may be a bike that in theory ticks all the boxes, but, unless the local shops have the model in stock, how would you be able to do a test ride? Surely the lbs won't order a particular model and size on the chance that you may buy it or would they?

Top Bottom