What comprises the perfect commuter bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rykard

Veteran
HI,
I need to get back to cycling to work, illness & laziness, I am also looking at rationalising my collection of bikes... I am thinking of a 'summer commuter' and a 'winter commuter' which led me to wonder what people think the perfect commuter bike needs...

discuss

Rich

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
<- my bike. But then I expect many of you wouldn't agree with that.

Norm

(Aside from 998cc of Yamaha power :smile: ) Flat bars, 700x28c tyres, mudguards, rack and panniers, good lights and solid rather than cutting edge technology.

Some will prefer drops to flats, some may prefer smaller tyres, I can only think of the riding that I would do (which does not involve major conurbations and would be all on tarmac) and what I would consider an ideal machine.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Rykard said:
HI,
I need to get back to cycling to work, illness & laziness, I am also looking at rationalising my collect of bikes... I am thinking of a 'summer commuter' and a 'winter commuter' which led me to wonder what people think the perfect commuter bike needs...

discuss

Rich

One that goes, stops and does all the stuff in between without falling apart too much.

As a personal choice, I ride an old MTB (with city slicker tyres) so that I can get more use from it with kids and stuff at weekends (in the parks, down at Bedgebury, that sort of thing)

Hybrids, road racers, recumbent's, fixes, Electro-assist, more than enough to suit all pockets and requirements

OP
OP
R

Rykard

Veteran
I have a nice merida for 'summer' and a v old Scott rigid mtb for winter but this is so heavy that i am thinking of getting a newer and lighter hardtail? mtb for the winter grind...

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Drop bars, 700x25's, no mudguard and no rack & panniers. :smile:

Norm said:
(Aside from 998cc of Yamaha power :biggrin: ) Flat bars, 700x28c tyres, mudguards, rack and panniers, good lights and solid rather than cutting edge technology.

Some will prefer drops to flats, some may prefer smaller tyres, I can only think of the riding that I would do (which does not involve major conurbations and would be all on tarmac) and what I would consider an ideal machine.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Simplicity and low maintenance would be my main criteria:-

frame - steel or titanium if you can afford it

wheels - solid Mavic rims and at least a 32 spoke count on rear

gears - as few as you can manage while giving you options for 'bad' days. I'd want either an internal hub gear or a single chain ring with a max 9 speed cassette.

tyres - puncture proof, M+ or similar, heavy and slowish but really do what they claim

saddle - if you've got the right bum then a Brooks every time

bars - any combination that suits except plain flat bars, unless it's a really short commute

mudguards - yes, and full ones

rack - yes and panniers

Slim

Über Member
If money was no object (and bearing in mind my commute is pretty much all in town)...

Carbon frame
Rohloff 14 speed
Flat Bars
Ergon Grips
SPDs
Disc Brakes (cable)
600cc engine

Trevrev

Veteran
My Trek 7.1. Although near bottom end it's been quite solid. Puncture resistant tyres are a must. Full mudguards....They take away the looks, but you need practical when commuting. I prefer Rack and panniers. Again, not pretty, but i did a year with a ruck sack and they're just too hot on my back. And i carry too much !!
Mainly food......LOL.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
One BIG question: do you have somewhere absolutely safe to keep it during the day?

If yes, the nicest racer you can afford.

If no, the nicest racer that looks (or you can make look) like a piece of crap.

jimboalee

MacB said:
Simplicity and low maintenance would be my main criteria:-

frame - steel or titanium if you can afford it

wheels - solid Mavic rims and at least a 32 spoke count on rear

gears - as few as you can manage while giving you options for 'bad' days. I'd want either an internal hub gear or a single chain ring with a max 9 speed cassette.

tyres - puncture proof, M+ or similar, heavy and slowish but really do what they claim

saddle - if you've got the right bum then a Brooks every time

bars - any combination that suits except plain flat bars, unless it's a really short commute

mudguards - yes, and full ones

rack - yes and panniers

This guy's not stupid.

All of the above, plus

lamps - dynamo powered which are continuously lit.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
[quote name='swee'pea99']One BIG question: do you have somewhere absolutely safe to keep it during the day?

If yes, the nicest racer you can afford.

If no, the nicest racer that looks (or you can make look) like a piece of crap.[/QUOTE]

Good advice!! I like that

jimboalee

Here's the 2010 project.

BSA '20' Steel frame.

40 hole rear wheel with Sturmey 3 hub 39, 52 and 69" gears.

Schwalbe Durano 28-451.

Brooks B17

OE bars re-chromed

OE Full Mudguards

Rack and bag.

Sturmey Dynohub with OE lampset. Additional rear and 5W LED front for darkness hours.

Top Bottom