what country?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

if i'm using some of my holidays next year to go on a cycle tour, the question arises, where?
As per my other thread, i was thinking about new zealand, but after looking around on the net it seems the flights are at least £600 EACH, i.e. one way, i'm looking at WELL over a grand just on flights, so it's out of the question really.
What i'm mainly bothered about is has it got nice scenery and countryside for cycling through, and not TOO difficult to get to, unlike NZ.
I'm NOT particularly bothered about it being flat, how kind the drivers are to cyclists, and no doubt certain other things which people will suggest things on the basis of but lots of suggestions please. Preferably some details on area/route aswell as country/start-finish, britain considered. No poor/dodgy countries though.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I recommend Germany if you've not been there. A route recommendation would depend on how much time you have and how many km a day you intend to do.

col

Legendary Member
why not try somewhere in england?some great scenery here too i think,northumberland,north yorkshire,or how about a coastal tour,could be an option?

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
bonj said:
100km a day/about 2 weeks. at a rough guess.

Fly to Munich, cycle to Passau and then up the Danube to the source at Donaueschingen, south down the Wutach valley to the Rhine just after it comes out of L Konstanz and then along the Rhine to Hook of Holland and home.

Another variation: Ferry Harwich to Cuxhaven, cycle across to the Weser at Bremen, up the Weser to Hann. Münden, up the Fulda to the Rhön hills, over the hills down to Gemünden am Main, down the Main to the Rhine and down the Rhine to the Hook.

Both are excellent tours although I think the former probably has the edge. Check it out on a map and if you need any further details e.g. mapping etc., let me know.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I would say Norway (and/or Sweden). Unbeatable landscapes, lovely people, and some stiff climbs too! Can be expensive though...

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Andy in Sig said:
Fly to Munich, cycle to Passau and then up the Danube to the source at Donaueschingen, south down the Wutach valley to the Rhine just after it comes out of L Konstanz and then along the Rine to Hook of Holland and home.

Another variation: Ferry Harwich to Hamburg, cycle across to the Weser at Bremen, up the Weser to Hann. Münden, up the Fulda to the Rhön hills, over the hills down to Gemünden am Main, down the Main to the Rhine and down the Rhine to the Hook.

Both are excellent tours although I think the former probably has the edge. Check it out on a map and if you need any further details e.g. mapping etc., let me know.

sounds interesting! i'm presuming taking a bike on a ferry is a lot easier than taking it on a plane aswell so that would be a bonus...
can you get ferries to hamburg though?

peanut

Loire Valley. Lots of camping places and hostels. Cycle friendly country and miles and miles of great cycling with few cars, good food and wine .Cheap to get to and back . Lots of expats over there organising tours and backup etc
oh and practically guaranteed good weather

snorri

Legendary Member
You could go to mainland Europe on one ferry and back on another route altogether, take a look at this website for some of the possibilities.
http://www.directferries.co.uk/ferry_guide.htm
Going over to one country and back from another will give you a taster, you can go back and explore more thoroughly another time.
Ferries are usually trouble free for cyclists, with minimal formalities, advance booking not usually required apart from peak times.

Flying_Monkey said:
I would say Norway (and/or Sweden). Unbeatable landscapes, lovely people, and some stiff climbs too! Can be expensive though...

I agree with FM here! Fly to Stockholm, 550 km to Oslo, about the same to Kristiansand (southern Norway), ferry to Denmark, cycle down to Esbjerg for ferry to Harwich!

The roads are quiet and are excellent for cycling; magnificent scenery (like Scotland, Canada, Tuscany, SW France rolled into one). Can be expensive, but can also be cheap!

xilios

Veteran
Germany or France are both great to cycle in but I would go for Germany, main reason being bikes on trains are hassle free (so I've heard) and no need to take a plane.
We have tryed in France but it was tough, language, bad attitudes etc...
We love France (cycled there on three occasions) but some of the people there have got real issues with speaking English.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Top Bottom