What difference do pedals make?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
On my new go faster bike, I have installed spd pedals similar to the ones on my old bike. This means I can use the same shoes. no faffing and no need to buy new shoes. However, I hear people suggesting that I should be using road specific pedals and shoes. Hmmm. How much difference would changing to road specific pedals actually make. Is it really worth it for a percent or two increase in efficiency ? (what are the actual improvement figures?)

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
FWIW I found no difference between Look and SPD for cycling. SPD are a gazillion times better for walking to / from cafes and the like.

jpembroke

I've used SPDs on a road bike - and still use them on my MTB and 'cross bikes - but I much prefer Looks now for road use. They have a far bigger interface, feel stiffer, more secure and more comfortable on long rides. And you are far less likely to have accidental 'unclips' using Look-style pedals (usually and issue in sprints or hauling it up very steep hills). Agreed though, they are a pain in the a*se to walk on, but that's not what they are designed for.

papercorn2000

I use SPDs on all my winter bikes - trainer, commuter and fixie. Cleats last longer than Looks - don't feel any other difference.

jpembroke

Ooh, I've just thought of something. If you suffer from IT band pain, Look pedals allow you to lock your foot in one position or give a small amount of arc whereas SPD seem to let your foot float all over the place. My right foot naturally wants to point slightly inwards. Trouble is, if I let it get away with its evil plan I am crippled with pain from my IT band (outside of right knee) after about 30 miles. I have to lock that sucker down.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

jpembroke said:
Ooh, I've just thought of something. If you suffer from IT band pain, Look pedals allow you to lock your foot in one position or give a small amount of arc whereas SPD seem to let your foot float all over the place. My right foot naturally wants to point slightly inwards. Trouble is, if I let it get away with its evil plan I am crippled with pain from my IT band (outside of right knee) after about 30 miles. I have to lock that sucker down.

Actually, I'm a difficult case. Three knee operations on my right knee (judo took it's toll!). If I get knee pain, it tends to be in the inside of my knee.

EMD, my son did quite well on his wobble bike, so I might give it a go. I might even be able to go faster! :biggrin:

ChrisKH

Guru
magnatom said:
Actually, I'm a difficult case. Three knee operations on my right knee (judo took it's toll!). If I get knee pain, it tends to be in the inside of my knee.

EMD, my son did quite well on his wobble bike, so I might give it a go. I might even be able to go faster! :biggrin:

Snap. Three ops on right knee. But funnily it's the left knee which is giving me jip after using SPD's at the weekend. I must get the Frog pedals fixed on my road bike and see if they make any difference.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
ChrisKH said:
Snap. Three ops on right knee. But funnily it's the left knee which is giving me jip after using SPD's at the weekend. I must get the Frog pedals fixed on my road bike and see if they make any difference.

Chris, nah thats just old age creeping up on you :biggrin:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

fossyant said:
To keep costs down, then stick with SPD's. You won't notice much difference if you have a good stiff pair of shoes.

They aren't too bad, specialized sonoma from a few years ago (lace ups).

I'll stick with the SPDs for now.

Thanks guys.

When I first got a road bike I did similar to you (A510 spd pedals) before eventually upgrading to SPD-SLs. I never had a problem with a hot spot or whatever it is called, perhaps its because the A510's are tiuring pedals with a cage. I've since transferred them to my winter bike and invested in a stiffer soled pair of shoes and I don't think I notice the difference and the walkability issue is a big plus for me, especially at this time of year.

Top Bottom