What do I do....?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Psyclist

Über Member
One of the managers at my local bike shop charged me extortionate prices for service.

Was going to charge me £40 to take off my drivetrain from my old MTB, charged me £15 to cut my steerer tube 10mm (which he cut previously uneven) and also was going to charge me £50 for drive train removal off of my Giant Defy.

I now have to avoid him and wait for the other manager to be in (who charges realistic and fair prices)

I think this is out of order. Why should I have to avoid going in when one of the managers there scams me?

What should I do? Bit of a sticky situattion as the other owner is sort of a friend so don't want to report his shop causing trouble either....:wacko:

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
So speak to the owner/manager who is your friend.

OP
OP
Psyclist

Psyclist

Über Member
So speak to the owner/manager who is your friend.

I complained via email before in which my friend replied with an apology. I clearly stated that his partner is trying to rip me off, yet the other day he nearly charged me £50 for a drive train strip. When my friend quoted £15.

I'll buy my own tools soon, but still will need the shops service for some things...

Gary E

Veteran
I'll buy my own tools soon, but still will need the shops service for some things...

Why?

Vote with your feet and tell everyone what a rip off merchant he is.

My girlfriend took her bike into a LBS for a quick service and was charged over £150 for parts the bike simply didn't need.

After I went in and "talked" the robbing swine into returning the money we never used the shop again and nor have any of our cycling friends.

I estimate I've spent close to £1000 since in the bike shop we took our business to.

OP
OP
Psyclist

Psyclist

Über Member
After I went in and "talked" the robbing swine into returning the money we never used the shop again and nor have any of our cycling friends.

I estimate I've spent close to £1000 since in the bike shop we took our business to.

Problem is, there's only one proper bike shop in my town....then Halfords.

Guess I can have a talk with him next time he tries to scam me, there have been no problems with the other manager and he runs the shop very well.

Noodley

Only deal with your friend. Always ask the scammer the cost before you agree to any work, if he quotes stupid prices tell him "no chance, I'll come back when xxx is here", and if it continues "no chance, I'd rather take my chances with Halfords"...

OP
OP
Psyclist

Psyclist

Über Member
Only deal with your friend. Always ask the scammer the cost before you agree to any work, if he quotes stupid prices tell him "no chance, I'll come back when xxx is here", and if it continues "no chance, I'd rather take my chances with Halfords"...

Cheers Noodley I was just trying to think of the right wording, that's perfect. I do have the balls to tell him he's charging extortionate prices, but there are always customers in the shop when he's charged me, so don't want to put the shops reputation down the sink (one reason I won't name it on here) as my friend also owns the shop.

Gary E

Veteran
If he really is your friend tell him his partner is putting you off shopping there.

If he's putting you off, baring in mind you seem to have a certain amount of loyalty to the shop, just think how many first time customers he's lost for good.

If your mate cares about his reputation and wants to stay in business he'd be mad to ignore you.

OP
OP
Psyclist

Psyclist

Über Member
If he really is your friend tell him his partner is putting you off shopping there.

If he's putting you off, baring in mind you seem to have a certain amount of loyalty to the shop, just think how many first time customers he's lost for good.

If your mate cares about his reputation and wants to stay in business he'd be mad to ignore you.

I'll have a word with him next time he's in the shop. But he knows that his partner has tried to rip me off before. I'm definitely loyal to them, I've bought 3 full bikes and two frames from them in the 5 years I've been a customer.

festival

Über Member
What did "remove drivechain" involve in this instance? Was it just remove and hand it back to you?
Did he just cut the steerer tube or did he have to remove wheel, bars and stem, disconnect the brake etc to get at it?

OP
OP
Psyclist

Psyclist

Über Member
What did "remove drivechain" involve in this instance? Was it just remove and hand it back to you?
Did he just cut the steerer tube or did he have to remove wheel, bars and stem, disconnect the brake etc to get at it?

Chain, crankset, cassette, front and rear mech. It was to remove and then I collected the bike. This is when he asked for £50 and his partner corrected him saying 'no £15'.
Steerer tube - The fork was already removed from my bike as I was selling it, but a buyer complained about the uneven steerer so I had to take it back to the shop to be made level in which he charged £15.

Pity there's not an Edinburgh Cycles near you as there Intsensive 1-day course was the best £49 I have ever or will spend.
I had mechanical nounce but was relatively clueless and bodged my way through repairs/tweaks on my bike, but since going on that course and buying a Bikehand, providing I have the tools I can tackle almost any running repair, replacement or service on my bikes.

OP
OP
Psyclist

Psyclist

Über Member
Pity there's not an Edinburgh Cycles near you as there Intsensive 1-day course was the best £49 I have ever or will spend.
I had mechanical nounce but was relatively clueless and bodged my way through repairs/tweaks on my bike, but since going on that course and buying a Bikehand, providing I have the tools I can tackle almost any running repair, replacement or service on my bikes.

I'll definitely get my own tools after I'm done doing my 10 speed upgrade.
If he ever charges me something stupid again, I'll say that I'll come back when my friend is there.

festival

Über Member
I work in the cycle business and believe strongly that we sell ourselves cheap a lot of the time, to the extent that when someone charges a realistic price, the public can assume they are being ripped off, regardless of the cost of the tools, knowledge, skill etc that may not be taken into account. BUT, in your case you are seriously being ripped off.
IMO £15 is a little generous, £20 or £25 depending on how dirty it is would be my price but £40 or £50 is taking the piss.
They seem to have a strange working arrangement and If your friend doesn't deal with it the business is going to suffer. Good Luck.

OP
OP
Psyclist

Psyclist

Über Member
I work in the cycle business and believe strongly that we sell ourselves cheap a lot of the time, to the extent that when someone charges a realistic price, the public can assume they are being ripped off, regardless of the cost of the tools, knowledge, skill etc that may not be taken into account. BUT, in your case you are seriously being ripped off.
IMO £15 is a little generous, £20 or £25 depending on how dirty it is would be my price but £40 or £50 is taking the piss.
They seem to have a strange working arrangement and If your friend doesn't deal with it the business is going to suffer. Good Luck.

Thanks Festival, will do. I'll certainly have a word regarding the other manager to him. Hopefully he'll put him in his place.
As I said, I'll complain to him in person if he tries to rip me off again.
Not sure if the shop is suffering from low income, but no need to rip off their customer(s).

Top Bottom