What do you pack in your panniers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BluesDave

Formerly known as DavidDecorator
There must have been a hundred posts on here already about this but none of them were from me.

So my question is what would you pack in your panniers for a tour of say 300 miles apart from the obvious underpants.?

Picture two rear panniers with a tent across the top of the rack. Not huge capacity but ample.

In a slightly related question what are your thoughts on the Dawes super galaxy as a touring bike? I suppose it would have to be the modern one as I am highly unlikely to ever get hold of the 1940's version.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I have four panniers... bike bins on the back, one with sleeping bag, liner and downmat. The other with the tent & groundsheet in. The front ones have the stove, clothing and food (beer). Bags of room and nothing (as yet) on top of the racks.

I have a system...for two rear panniers (altura dryline 32) it's:

Left
First aid kit; spares bag; tools; energy food; waterproofs in a roll top waterproof bag; stove; thermarest.

Right
Clothes in a waterproof bag; mini toiletries in a waterproof bag; camp towel and PJs in a waterproof bag; tent inner (mike takes the outer and the poles), sleeping bag

A waterproof bag of foodstuffs goes on the top of my rack, normally.

I had tool kit/spare tubes/small wd40 and old rags in left zip pocket. First aid kit/deep heat/housewife kit/pro-plus,torch,spare batteries and baby wipes in the right zip pocket. For the main bags i put full set of clothes/underwear in each bag (in their own waterproof bag!) Spare footwear in one. The rest of the room was taken up with food/drinks(beer :whistle:). I didn't take a stove on my last trip but i could have fitted it in. My tent went along the length of the rack,sleeping bag on top and then my mascot.... Like so...

Bike + tank.JPG

G'day

Rather than try and list out my gear list here, I have it here (it is an Excel spreadsheet). My core gear list does not really change that much for the length of the tour (with the exception of spare parts). I am also working on lightening my load with a new tent, sleeping bag/quilt and for a forthcoming 5,000 km ride, a new stove/pot set-up.

Anyway hope that helps.

Andrew

Danny

Legendary Member
I have a system...for two rear panniers (altura dryline 32) it's:

Left
First aid kit; spares bag; tools; energy food; waterproofs in a roll top waterproof bag; stove; thermarest.

Right
Clothes in a waterproof bag; mini toiletries in a waterproof bag; camp towel and PJs in a waterproof bag; tent inner (mike takes the outer and the poles), sleeping bag

A waterproof bag of foodstuffs goes on the top of my rack, normally.

PJs when you're camping? :rolleyes:

cycleruk

my last touring trip had a list as follows.
basic tools for road side repairs (punture repairs and so on)
spare parts like chain and inner tubes
bike pump
spare lights
trousers, t shirt socks and under wear (when i was at the camp site)
small, spare bits of food
small camping stove etc
map
most of the space is taken up by the tent and sleeping bag etc.
You can get extra space on the bike itself with the use of saddle bags etc so you can carry money etc

i like to keep it simple :thumbsup:

willem

Über Member
I have two rear panniers, the tent on top in its own sack, and a bar bag for easy access to small stuff like a wallet, elementary first aid kit and basic tools and a spare tube. The right pannier has all the stuff that has to stay absolutely dry, such as sleeping bag, mattress, clean clothes etc. This pannier can stay closed during the ride. The left pannier has stove, food, etc. This one may be opened briefly, to get some food, or to put fresh food into it. If I take a spare tyre on longer and rougher rides, that will also go into this pannier, as will a warmer shirt or sweater. Waterproofs will be strapped to the outside of the panniers, so I can put them on without opening the pannier.
Willem

hubbike

Here's how I pack, I like to think of each pannier as being a room in my house.

Front panniers have things that might be accessed during the day.

Front Left: Kitchen (stove, fuel, food, etc.)
Front Right: Man drawer (useful things like swiss army knife, spoon, gaffer tape, book, camera, diary, gloves, water proof, bog roll, maps, sunhat and other assorted clutter)
Rear panniers should only be needed when camping or on more rare occassions (breakdowns, etc).
Rear Left: Bedroom (sleeping bag, down jacket, flipflops)
Rear Right: Wardrobe (clothes) and Garage (spare tyre, spares and repair kit)

Danny

Legendary Member
Yes, what if you need the loo in the night? PJs!

I usually just pull on a pair of shorts, or if it is very dark I have been known to sneak out with little on at all.

However this all goes to show that we all have our own ideas about what is essential and non-essential kit, and I am sure people would laugh at some of the things I cart around.

I usually just pull on a pair of shorts, or if it is very dark I have been known to sneak out with little on at all.

However this all goes to show that we all have our own ideas about what is essential and non-essential kit, and I am sure people would laugh at some of the things I cart around.

lol @ superbagder
I also feel the cold at night loads when camping, so PJs help there too.

Top Bottom