What does your other half think of your bike/s?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jane Smart

The Queen
If they don't cycle that is :angry:

My significant other hates me talking bikes, hates my bike and wishes ( I think ) I had never discovered cycling.:angry:

He told me not to go out on it again till I put some weight on:ohmy: ( I have lost a stone and a half since the pic in my profile )

Saying that he is buying me my 2nd bike for my birthday on the 1st November so he is forgiven :smile:

I just wondered if I am alone in this?:smile:

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
My good lady feigns disinterest in bikes and cycling but I caught her checking out the tour of britain results on the net the other day:biggrin::ohmy:

gbb

Legendary Member
My wifes in a state of flux...she loves it, and hates it.
I think she understands i need that release, and knows the value of quality, so doesnt really complain about the cost.
But then, i know its a selfish hobby and she does get fed up at times with the time i spend riding, tinkering, bringing more wrecks home to play with :smile:

Hell...she offered me a new bike for my next birthday...mines only 14 ,months old ;)...so she's understanding.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Mrs Monkey doesn't like the garage being full of bikes and bits.

She does like having someone around who knows how to fix her bike, the kid's bikes, and her friends' bikes.

Mrs Monkey doesn't like me spending time maintaining my bikes. She does like that I was able to sort out a better bike for her than the one she did have.

Mrs Monkey doesn't like when I go out for 3 hours of riding on a Sunday. Mrs Monkey does like that we don't need to run two cars, as I can do most journeys I do on my own by bike.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Mrs P shows no interest at all. She has her own bike but refuses to ride it. It is a 12 year old Raliegh Pioneer and has done about 100 miles. She takes no interest in my cycling activities, even when I offered to buy a tandem so that we could go out together on the rides I do.

ChrisKH

Guru
No interest. Bar one ride on her own bike in 1987 it has sat in the shed and from time to time I fettle with it to make sure it does work. She is happy with me cycling (to a degree) as long as I don't neglect family duties. It's preferable to me having a long term affair with my secretary apparently. Not that I ever have you understand but mid-life crisis with a bike rather than a bike has a half nod of approval. ;)

I've never discussed bike related things with my wife as she isn't interested. She had a general problem with me cycling when she went through a long phase of having a problem with me doing anything. It's less of a problem now. When she admitted she had a problem with it (but wouldn't/couldn't say why) and promised she would be better I left my trek in the kitchen for three days to wind her up ;).

OP
OP
Jane Smart

Jane Smart

The Queen
Uncle Mort said:
My wife loved her bike as a kid but very rarely rides now. She prefers fast cars.:smile:

I do both ;)

Wheeledweenie

Über Member
Mr Weenie was dubious when I first got a bike but he used to cycle everywhere so gave me a few top tips. When it became clear that I had fallen in love with it he bought me a high-vis jacket for Christmas and has been lovely and supportive.

He can't fix bikes mechanically but sorted my first puncture and was very proud when I learned to do my own.

I've lost a stone and a half and have a great deal more self-esteem, my hip problems are much improved and I'm able to get myself around and do things like the shopping without the need for a car (I can't drive so it was tricky before). He gets a bit annoyed when I spend all the money I've 'saved' by not getting public transport on bike bits but he knows that on balace I'm so much happier so it's worth it.

Mrs-LC enjoys the family runs out we do, as do the Little-LCs. She also has a dawdle out with "the girls" (other mums) while the kids are at school, usually involving lots of tea and cake. ;)

My personal riding time is all to or from work, so there's no problem there. All in all, it's all good.

The LC family do all roll their eyes and say "daddy's got another bike gadget" when I buy myself a new toy, but the saving in fuel in the car means it's not an issue. Especially now we're selling a car ..

gazmercer

My wife was not interested at all in cycling until last week. While I had my bike in for a service she put some money down on a bike for herself and she's excited about getting it and going to the local park on it!

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
Mrs Goth has no discernible interest in my cycling, doesn't understand why I would choose to go out for hours by myself on a nice sunny day and can't fathom out why I need three bikes.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
I have to take her Giant Arete out once a week to keep it rollin;.... how I hate big tyres, triples, baggy shorts and peaks on helmets...............

Top Bottom