What event could I take part in?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
As a beginner of about 6 months with a hybrid bike are there any events I could have a go at. Over 20 miles of slightly hilly ride I am lucky to average 13 mph. Furthest I have ridden is 60 miles but average dropped to 10 mph.

I used to run half marathons with no hope of winning but enjoyed the buzz ,is there any thing suitable I could sign up for?

Ideally near South Wales.

PaulB

Legendary Member

Lovebadger

If you want a good challenge, nice roads and good company then check the UK Audax site:

http://www.aukweb.net/cal/index.htm

Do a search for South Wales and check the details of each event to see if it is appropriate. Unfortunately, at this time of year the short events tend to be quite hilly so you have to factor it in. An example event looks like this;
100 05 Sep Johnstown, Carmarthen The Landsker
09:00 Sat BP 109km 1615m AAA1.5 £5.50 CL (P 1 mile) RTM 35 12.5-25kph

So you can see that it is 100km with 1615 metres of climbing with an average speed between 12.5-25kph.

I can't recommend Audax rides enough - PM me if you need more details.

Cheers

PaulB

Legendary Member
vernon said:
This is hardly the ideal event for a relative newcomer. The original posters's average speed, further reduced by the hilliness of the course, would not allow him to qualify as a finisher.

Audaxes might well be the answer.

A look at www.audax.uk.net and then the calender menu item might turn something up.

While I agree Audaxes may indeed be the answer, the event I suggested is 87 miles long and the OP writes that he is already up to 60 miles. It's a challenge, yes, but one I'm sure he'll relish.

lukesdad

PaulB said:
While I agree Audaxes may indeed be the answer, the event I suggested is 87 miles long and the OP writes that he is already up to 60 miles. It's a challenge, yes, but one I'm sure he'll relish.

It would be to tougher event to much climbing. Don t put him off before he starts.

515mm

'Ullo again Banjo!

The British Heart Foundation Gower ride sounds about ideal for you at 35 miles. Sadly you've missed this year's event!

The local CTC (Cyclist's Touring Club) do some sedate rides on a Sunday and they're a very friendly, jolly lot who always wave and say hello when we see them (and we're on our bikes). The swansea group seem to favour the Gower Penninsular and never, ever, leave anyone behind, I'm reliably informed. Defo worth a go........

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Thanks for all the replies, One question about Audaxes I vaguely remember that bikes have to have mudguards,is that right?Also do people do them on hybrid bikes ?

I cant do anything on a regular basis due to working on a rota not giving me many weekends free but would like to take part now and then .im off to do some googling on CTC now.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Banjo said:
Thanks for all the replies, One question about Audaxes I vaguely remember that bikes have to have mudguards,is that right?Also do people do them on hybrid bikes ?
Very few organisers insist on mudguards now.

People ride everything from rusty old touring bikes to super-expensive carbon fibre racing machines. There's absolutely no reason why you shouldn't ride a hybrid bike if you are happy with it.

all sorts of people take part. Some cautious riders use saddlebags the size of small family cars (presumably they are carrying full camping gear in case they get seriously lost trying to follow their route sheets? :biggrin:); some get by with a spare tube and a banana in the back pocket.

All you are trying to do is to get round the route within the time limits. You'd have to be pretty quick to get anywhere near the minimum time, and pretty slow not to make it within the maximum time. Start with shorter flatter events and build up as quickly as you are comfortable with. A lot of the 100 km events have miminum speeds as low as 12 kph (7.5 mph); that should not be too difficult to achieve.

lukesdad

515mm said:
'Ullo again Banjo!

The British Heart Foundation Gower ride sounds about ideal for you at 35 miles. Sadly you've missed this year's event!

The local CTC (Cyclist's Touring Club) do some sedate rides on a Sunday and they're a very friendly, jolly lot who always wave and say hello when we see them (and we're on our bikes). The swansea group seem to favour the Gower Penninsular and never, ever, leave anyone behind, I'm reliably informed. Defo worth a go........

Quite alot of rides organized around Swansea area Im always seeing em stuck on the lamposts.

ASC1951

Guru
ColinJ said:
Some cautious riders use saddlebags the size of small family cars
Stout canvas, black, sideways and hung off a gnarled Brooks? They will be the CTC members. For the spare beards, sandals and woolly socks so that they can recognise each other at the end. :thumbsup:

jimboalee

AUK

I do calendar events and permanents.
A permanent, such as the Midland Mesh or DIY ride is a ride you can do anytime - with the organiser's "yes".

On Calendar rides, I find myself on my own within the first few miles and rarely see another rider all day.
So to these ends, I ride more MidMesh and DIYs than calendar events.

Unfortunately, the MidMesh doesn't go into Wales ( Chepstow closest ) much.

A DIY ride is self made. The AUK man is Danial for Wales.
Brevet card signing and average speed calcs etc are as usual.

jimboalee

ASC1951 said:
Stout canvas, black, sideways and hung off a gnarled Brooks? They will be the CTC members. For the spare beards, sandals and woolly socks so that they can recognise each other at the end. :thumbsup:

And the 'Emergency' string vest.

jimboalee

Bloody hell man! That's got 3 AAA points.

Read the post about the Otztaler sportive. That's got 5000m of climbing in 238km.

The Wesley May is less than half the distance but well over half the climbing.

Top Bottom