What exactly happened to Megan Markle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been in her shoes.

Joined a 'Firm', didn't like it, they wouldn't change, I left.

Just speculating. :whistle:

OP
Arrowfoot

Arrowfoot

Veteran
I'm not sure it's all down to Megan. He's bound to have some negative feelings after seeing what his mother had to endure. Understandable that he doesn't want his wife and life to face the same scrutiny. I think he's quite right to get out if that's what he feels he needs to do to guarantee success in life but I would think even more of him and her if they could do it quietly and preferably without the chat show nonsense.
Agree about Harry and the chat show nonsense. It does shows he is not in the same orbit to be able to get sound advice on approach.

OP
Arrowfoot

Arrowfoot

Veteran
Or perhaps Meghan was treated really shabbily by the UK gutter press ..... and Harry having witnessed what it did to his mum, decided to leave these shores for somewhere more forgiving and tolerant
That would make sense if he actually left it all behind and created a life of his own. Does not seem to be case other than the physical move.

Last edited:

Edwardoka

Prolix Maximus
Another one of Ed's famous overlong 5am rants. Buckle yourselves in, folks.

I think Oprah is a bad call (this is a cycling forum after all, the last candid tell-all any of us remember Oprah being involved with featured a spineless toad with one testicle and no soul), but I absolutely don't blame them for going for one in a venue entirely outside the UK media's malign sphere of influence.

Harry and Meghan know that the tabloid media in this country are amoral, filthy grubbers who exist purely to make Express readers work* themselves into a frenzy over grotty Royal drama to such an extent that the media goes out of its way to fabricate grotty Royal drama.

The UK media has treated Meghan Markle appallingly, and the fact that this thread (and some of the rubbish takes herein) even exists shows how pervasive the media's narratives are.

As loathe as I am to link to buzzfeed, this should be most instructive:
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ellievhall/meghan-markle-kate-middleton-double-standards-royal

Meanwhile, these are the same tabloid media who flinch and pull punches when it comes to actual scandal.
(Prince Andrew in a Pizza Express in Woking? Never heard of it, mate. Did you see what that Meghan said about BLM?!!!?)
(Hancock? Illegal procurement? Oh, that Meghan she makes me so maaaaad, what did she do this time?!)

While the finest minds of CycleChat might not know why Meghan Markle is on the receiving end of such massively hypocritical opprobrium when compared to Kate, I'm sure they reckon something. Please, feel free to contribute your reckons.

I came up with a list of my own but this post is already about 515 words too long and I'd hate to deprive you all of the joy of posting faulty, problematic conclusions about the private lives of others.

TL;DR I don't actually care about the royals but I know bullying and media hounding when I see it and I will 100% always be on the side of those on the receiving end of it.
* Yes, this is a thinly veiled euphemism. Why else do you think Express readers all have bright red faces?

OP
Arrowfoot

Arrowfoot

Veteran
I think Oprah is a bad call (this is a cycling forum after all, the last candid tell-all any of us remember Oprah being involved with featured a spineless toad with one testicle and no soul), but I absolutely don't blame them for going for one in a venue entirely outside the UK media's malign sphere of influence.
Oprah was panned for the way that she handle that interview. Both came out looking like dishonest dills,

They were probably guided by her commercial pulling power rather than looking at an image angle.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I just feel for Harry and wonder how long he can do the 'bird in a gilded cage' thing.

byegad

Legendary Member
Tells you how detached the Royals are. Not just the uncle. Turns out the Mum was duped as well.
Yes, looking back the 1969 IIRC TV programme that gave us all some insight into Royal family life was not a good choice.
Previously the royals had been rather remote and could mostly* cover up their peccadillos.

*Except Edward and Wallace and Edward VII when he was Prince of Wales!

Once a Wheeler

Submerged beneath the froth there is a human rights issue here. A gilded cage is a cage none the less and obliging people to live in one is false imprisonment. Making them work under those conditions is known as slavery. All individuals have a right of self-determination whether they have fallen victim to modern slavery or fallen in love with modern monarchy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom