What exactly happened to Megan Markle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure it's all down to Megan. He's bound to have some negative feelings after seeing what his mother had to endure. Understandable that he doesn't want his wife and life to face the same scrutiny. I think he's quite right to get out if that's what he feels he needs to do to guarantee success in life but I would think even more of him and her if they could do it quietly and preferably without the chat show nonsense.
I entirely agree with this.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Meghan got herself off on the wrong foot with the British Press, and the relationship has continued to decline ever since.

Probably through inexperience, she tried to exert a level of control which the royal correspondents had not seen with other members of the family.

To give just two examples, she tried to keep the name of the godparents of their first child secret, and she tried to keep a banquet menu secret.

The name of the godparents, and the grub their royal highnesses are being served, are two of the harmless staples of royal coverage.

The couple also kicked against the royal press rota which for goodness knows how many years has been an official system for the Press to share non-controversial images and copy.

It suited both parties, the Press didn't have to duplicate coverage, and for a routine visit it meant the royal couple, and more importantly those they were meeting, were not impeded/intimidated by a dozen photographers all taking the same picture.

But Harry and Meghan knew better.

They have had a couple of victories, most notably against the Mail on Sunday.

But taking a paper's pants down in court is hardly likely to improve an already fractious relationship.

I think Harry may come to regret allowing his wife to have too much her own way.

There's a parallel here with Edward and Wallace Simpson.

To me, they always appeared rather sad and lonely figures cut off in their Paris apartment.

Harry and Meghan are now living on the other side of the world (for him) in a relatively isolated mansion.

That's fine while their relationship remains strong, but living in that way may put more pressure on their marriage than the British Press would ever have done.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
LOL. These subjects are always way more fascinating for what they reveal about the commentators than about anything to do with the lives of the people themselves.
You can sneer all you like, but to succeed the non-royal in a marriage has to play a subservient role.

We've seen that with several royal brides, but only because the Queen had more male children than female ones.

Princess Anne's husbands have had to be content with walking one step behind her, the same with Margaret and Antony Armstrong-Jones.

The best is example is the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh.

Kate Middleton has taken to the role like a duck to water, making her one of the sharpest chisels in the current royal set.

Much as you are desperate to apply your obsessive radical feminist agenda to everything, it is irrelevant in this case.

Adam4868

Guru
You can sneer all you like, but to succeed the non-royal in a marriage has to play a subservient role.

We've seen that with several royal brides, but only because the Queen had more male children than female ones.

Princess Anne's husbands have had to be content with walking one step behind her, the same with Margaret and Antony Armstrong-Jones.

Kate Middleton has taken to the role like a duck to water, making her one of the sharpest chisels in the current royal set.

Much as you are desperate to apply your obsessive radical feminist agenda to everything, it is irrelevant in this case.
Subservient....lol.Nobody likes a gobby bird !

All uphill

I didn't recognise you but I knew your bike

For me that summarises the fundamental issue with the royals. The baked-in idea of inequality.

I respect that you seem to be okay with that @Pale Rider , but if Anne had ever asked for my hand in marriage on that basis (🤪) I would have had to disappoint her.

For me that summarises the fundamental issue with the royals. The baked-in idea of inequality.

I respect that you seem to be okay with that @Pale Rider , but if Anne had ever asked for my hand in marriage on that basis (🤪) I would have had to disappoint her.
I doubt whether she ever asks for anything. She knows she is royalty so doesn't have to ask.

Tribansman

Absolutely. I'm all for anything that challenges or shakes up the awful, outdated idea of hereditary privilege.

And as for having to pander and ingratiate yourself to the gutter press, why the hell should she? Especially given the vile and prejudiced reporting (esp. when compared to coverage of Kate Middleton). Give me ruffling feathers - and even a bit of publicity seeking - over being an establishment patsy any day.

theclaud

Broadband Communism Now

Don't stop - it's very funny. Are you aiming for the bargain-basement Piers Morgan vibe, or do you see yourself as more sub-Witchell? You can't seem to settle between inchoate rage at the uppity attractive brown-skinned woman and fascinated forelock-tugging. But then I suppose they are not so far apart in the British psyche, really.

Last edited:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Oh its all just a misunderstanding -

When the powers that be told Harry and Megs that they needed to "Work a little harder" on their 'Royal Deportment' -

They got the wrong end of the stick and decided to fuq off Stateside, before the immigration officials turned up...

Of course on first sighting the tabloid press lauded Meghan as a ' breath of fresh air ', after all the usual stuffy nonsense, and tightly buttoned up coats - (oh and 'that tricky business' with Andrew)

But then - outrageously !! She and him, started having 'opinions' - 'preferences' even, about their privacy - and worse still voicing them -!!

Well now, that won't do will it ??

I guess Harry naively believed that the press would try to behave decently towards his new wife, after the shameful way they treated his mother -

But then the tabloid press has a seemingly insatiable appetite for insinuating gossip, and soap opera, underpinned with no small amount of double standard sexism, and mild to moderate racism - so they couldn't help themselves getting 'stuck in' really could they ?? .

The whole 'royal family' shebang is ridiculous outdated nonsense anyhow - but to my mind, this current episode serves to illustrate how just pointless and harmful, both to individuals and to this supposedly 'modern' nation the whole 'monarchy' cavalcade really is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom