What fixed Gearing do you use ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello All :smile:

Just wondered what sort of gear ratios people are using on there Fixies (gear inches) using Sheldon Browns Calc http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/ Mine works out at 66 gear inches (27 inch wheels,44/18 teeth). I live very nearly on the highest spot in the Midlands ( every where I go is either up or down:biggrin:) This seems the best compromise between spinning too fast down hill or being too high geared for up hill and also being able to use the pedles for braking down hill.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3253/2767751275_972ac69639.jpg?v=0

Badger Dudley West Midlands.

I commuted on a fixie when I lived in Wolverhampton. (I've still got it, but it's in many pieces in my shed.) I used a pretty high gear, 49x16 if I remember right, which works out at, what, around 82". My commute didn't have many hills on it.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
In London and Surrey hills, 42x15 on 27" wheels (73" approx), though have hauled it over Ditchling Beacon with a fully loaded saddle-bag several times.

I ended-up using this ratio because on my geared bike I found I ended-up riding that combination about 95% of the time.... and we only had 10 speed back then!

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
With the hills around Nottingham, i run 65Gi. Its a 46(might be 48, i cant remember:wacko:) 19. Spin on the downhill alot sometimes, but on the uphill i have had to gring my way up to the top.

peejay78

on the holdsworth i run 79". it's too big.
2760320434_d4b0a18a26.jpg

the raleigh is a much easier 73 inches, it's a run around to replace the bob jackson i had stolen.
DSC00369.jpg

Zoiders

43x15 giving 75.6

A bit too tall for some climbs around here and way too spinny for the corresponding descent but if you pick your routes it works out just dandy

yello

48x20... about 63". I have an 18 tooth cog but that's a little too much like hard work around here.

dudi

I run 48x16 on 700c wheels. calculated that at 78.8"

it's reasonably flat here, but on my commute there are 2 short (ish) sharp hills to deal with. I'm aiming to get that 16 off and put on a 15 soon. that should give me a bit more on the top end, at the moment i top out at about 32-35mph for any real period of riding. though for short blasts I can go pretty well...

JoeT

48x19 (~67 inches) in a moderately hilly area (South Downs). I may well drop back to 63" once the autumn bad weather arrives (if it hasn't already).

RedBike

I think I used to ride what was called 'evens'.
20mph at 100rpm. I can't remember what the ratio was (and i'm too lazy to work it out). I've got a feeling that it was lower than all the ones posted up here.

It was still murder on the hills (up and down), which is why I sold it.

Top Bottom