What happened next?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

squeaker

Über Member
Terminator said:

View: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=w219j4DMo3Q

This happened to me today but has anyone any idea what happened before hand?
You got hooted at?

Terminator said:
Shouldn't undertake... ;)

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
To be fair, IMO the guy in the second had been indicating for a while before the turn. So ideally the driver should have been aware of the cyclist on the rear nearside, however the cyclist should have been aware of the indication and ridden accordingly.

Tynan

Veteran
signals are clearly helpful but road position is as helpful, that's the one usually sadly absent from bad drivers

from the sound, you're rocket propelled

Another left hook today to my mate in front of me.Got that on video as well at Bethnal Green.Cant think of anything else.Was a bit shocked by the bloke on fixed (yesterday) but obviously he saw the signal later than I did and he was riding more defensively than I.

gambatte said:
To be fair, IMO the guy in the second had been indicating for a while before the turn. So ideally the driver should have been aware of the cyclist on the rear nearside, however the cyclist should have been aware of the indication and ridden accordingly.

Although I had been watching out for the hundred other things I was looking out for I saw that left hand turn late although I wasn't complaining I was thinking the fixies position was too much too the left.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Terminator said:
I was thinking the fixies position was too much too the left.

I was going to mention that too. The traffic was travelling at a comparative speed, could easily have moved into primary, or a stronger secondary. Figured JRG had covered that tho'

gambatte said:
I was going to mention that too. The traffic was travelling at a comparative speed, could easily have moved into primary, or a stronger secondary. Figured JRG had covered that tho'

I agree - you are a fst rider Terminator, and could easily ride further out into the lane.

I can't help it mikey.It's a hobby.;)

I tell you what mikey.I'll do a deal with you yes?

When motorists stop doing stupid and unpredictable things then I will stop riding in the door section no?

1255o2h.gif

View: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw49mtyv-aQ

Odyssey

gambatte said:

I don't think you can realistically expect a driver to be aware of someone coming up in the 2 feet of space to their left. It's not the type of thing you expect when you're driving a car. I mean, unless you ride in this traffic yourself you're looking out for other cars, not cyclists who appear out of nowhere.

The car was indicating. To carry on through on the inside is to cut it up. If you were in a car, even if there was enough room to the left, you would not under any circumstances make any attempt to go through the inside when you know it's about to turn. It would be total stupidity. Neither would it be wise to go through on a bike. You're expecting too much if you think that car's going to see you, no matter how aware they are.

Strange thing is...as being there is it caught me out...I don't know why at the time...perhaps because it was a black car and something to do with the lighting conditions but I can understand how the fixie didn't see it till late.Perhaps some motorists would be aware if they were doing such a move from the centre of the road to a left hand turn is dodgy for cyclists but it seems quite a common thing which happens to me now and again.Had something almost identical he was actually lane changing like bodie and doyle and not making a dive for a left hand turn like I expected he was.I dont think the road works helped obviously and they caused the incident.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Terminator said:
When motorists stop doing stupid and unpredictable things then I will stop riding in the door section no?

1255o2h.gif

Yes, but the most likely thing to take you out in a serious way is an opening door, not the passing traffic to your right. I would hate to hear that had happened to any cyclist, but especially you!!!

p.s. love the smiley, that's a good new version!

Top Bottom