What happens at a spinning class?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Danny

Legendary Member
I was thinking that if the cold and icy weather continues I should consider going to a spinning class. The problem is that I have absolutely no idea what goes on in one. Could anyone enlighten me on the following:

What makes a spinning class a "class" - is there an instructor who takes you through different routines?

Do you just use the standard exercise bikes you see in most gyms or are there special spinning machines?

What do people wear - gym clothes or cycling gear?

Is it fun and worth doing?

You always come top - of course! ;)

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I went to one once, thought I'd show 'em how it's done bike-wise.
It was in a dark studio with a sort of rave music thing going on.
Christ it was hard work - thought I was going to pass out at one point.
At the end of the lesson I didn't know whether to go home or ring for an ambulance to take me to A&E...

;)

I don't know if the bikes are more sophisticated elsewhere but where I went spinning they were like exercise bikes. They have butterfly type bars so you can do various exercises involving different combinations of hand positions when standing up on the pedals or when sitting on the saddle. The tension can be adjusted from spinning freely to maximum effort just to make the pedals go round. You are exposed to the most god awfull thumping music and an instructor barks out instructions. Having said that, it's strangely addictive.
I wouldn't go for the serious cyclist clothes, just wear things that are light weight and wicking. Ordinary trainers will do.
Take a small towel with you and keep it on the bike handlebars- you will need it. Also take a bottle of water.
Classes are always busy in the new year but quieten down after the end of January when the new year resolutions have lost their shine.
The good thing about spinning is that you can go at your own pace, but be careful not to overdo it too soon as you can do damage.
Enjoy!

HelenD123

Guru
I did a half hour class once and it was hell! I didn't think I was that unfit but found it hard. You have to cycle at different cadences and with different resistances, sat and stood up. The bit I found the worst was having to spin as fast as I could and still getting shouted at to go faster!

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
furball said:
I don't know if the bikes are more sophisticated elsewhere but where I went spinning they were like exercise bikes. They have butterfly type bars so you can do various exercises involving different combinations of hand positions when standing up on the pedals or when sitting on the saddle. The tension can be adjusted from spinning freely to maximum effort just to make the pedals go round. You are exposed to the most god awfull thumping music and an instructor barks out instructions. Having said that, it's strangely addictive.
I wouldn't go for the serious cyclist clothes, just wear things that are light weight and wicking. Ordinary trainers will do.
Take a small towel with you and keep it on the bike handlebars- you will need it. Also take a bottle of water.
Classes are always busy in the new year but quieten down after the end of January when the new year resolutions have lost their shine.
The good thing about spinning is that you can go at your own pace, but be careful not to overdo it too soon as you can do damage.
Enjoy!

- bikes I have used are more sophisticated than standard gym exercise bikes - bigger range of adjustment allowing set up close to road bike. Fixed wheel. Better saddles too, but still too fat! Wear padded cycling shorts. Personally think the music is great, and really helps. ++1 for the towel and plenty of water. Wicking top too, cotton will just get drenched. Useful to wear a HRM to keep a check. The class I use also warms down with series of stretching exercises on the bike. The gym I use also has 3 spinning bikes available for general use, which I use in preference to the awful wide soft saddle ones.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
No - not the same at all, need the instructor and the group setting to really work hard - anyway a good spinning bike is going to cost £1000+ ....

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
youngoldbloke said:
No - not the same at all, need the instructor and the group setting to really work hard - anyway a good spinning bike is going to cost £1000+ ....

what's a good spinning bike? I'm being serious I don't know anything about kit like that.

OP
OP
Danny

Danny

Legendary Member
MacB said:
would it not be easier, and cheaper in the long run, just to buy your own spinning bike and stick it in the garage?
As I haven't tried doing it yet I think that would be premature. And if they really cost £1000+ I would have to go to a weekly class for 5 years before I started saving money.

Besides my garage is too full of bikes and assorted junk to fit anything else. :smile:

OP
OP
Danny

Danny

Legendary Member
And thanks for the useful comments everyone - I reckon I'll give it a go in January.

Top Bottom