What has happened to my legs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Having decided that I was thoroughly fed up waiting for warmer mornings to re-start commuting (SWMBO inflicted a "no winter commuting" policy), I've got back in the saddle this week :thumbsup:

I managed to sneak in a couple of commutes in January, and did a few weekend runs during December and the Christmas holidays, but essentially I've not been riding 28 miles a day, 5 days a week, since the end of November.

Monday was refreshing (!), and yesterday felt slow. Today though, legs are like lead weights, and I struggled to maintain any sort of speed at all. Usually, I'll cruise along at 18-20mph (on the flat bits) but today was 13-15mph and I even had to resort to the Granny Ring for hills that I normally don't even need to venture down to middle ring/largest sprocket....

I guess it just proves I'm only human – good days and bad days and all that – but I did wonder if you should expect such a drop in capability/enjoyment factor after 2 months out the saddle :scratch:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Quite normal, also factor in cold if you've not wrapped up appropriately.

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Quite normal, also factor in cold if you've not wrapped up appropriately.
Cheers Fossyant :thumbsup:

Define "wrapped up appropriately" though... I've only had my bib longs on on my bottom half (LIDL's thick ones, bought last Autumn), i.e. no undies or leg-warmers etc., and layered up on top (long-sleeve top, mid-weight windproof shell and high-vis lightweight wind/waterproof jacket), plus buff and gloves. I've not felt too cold, but I suppose that doesn't mean I'm dressed properly... Legs feel chilly stepping outside, but I do stretch before I set off, and once moving I'm OK but can certainly tell it's not Summer :whistle:

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Depending on your direction of travel there was quite a head wind this morning too.
I noticed it wasn't quite as still this morning as it had been yesterday and Monday, but the wind was still pretty light – I've endured 40+mph winds (with horizontal rain too) at times back in the Autumn, and I was slower today than I was then :blush:

DougieAB

Getting the messages
You have been missing out on the best cycling weather for a long time, certainly in the Edinburgh area. Since the beginning of last week there has been little or no wind, dry and no snow. ^_^

Third ride/run back is always the one where I expect suffering and maybe the one after too. You seem to get away with the first two.

Holdsworth

Über Member
You think you have problems? I have been out of the saddle for 3 months and only just got back to commuting, describing my legs as lead weights would be an understatement!

DougieAB

Getting the messages
Of course as soon as I mention the great weather I read that Central Scotland is meant to get a band of rain overnight which is expected to freeze as soon as it hits the ground. Be careful out there!

Arfcollins

Soft southerner.
You have been missing out on the best cycling weather for a long time, certainly in the Edinburgh area. Since the beginning of last week there has been little or no wind, dry and no snow. ^_^
It's been pretty good down this way too, near Portsmouth. I prefer it with a chill in the air so I don't arrive at work in a lather. I've discovered a way of measuring the air temperature by seeing how far I get from home before my thumbs are painful. Haven't calibrated it properly yet but it's about half a degree below zero per mile.

G-Zero

Über Member
I've been doing well so far this year and nicely clocking the miles up, until on the way to work in the ice again, with numb fingers and a 2 day old gut ache, I got a front wheel puncture this morning, 4 miles in to my commute.

I just could not bring myself to take my gloves off to change the tube and bottled it big style, ringing Mrs G to come collect me, rang a lieu day in and sat in front of the radiator all day, with laptop on knee, feeling like sh**e and as weak as a kitten.

Don't think I'll be doing my planned rest day ride tomorrow either, especially with the freezing rain conditions being forecast by the Met Office (Thanks also DougieAB)

I have been more sedate during this cold snap, partly down to being careful, but also the dry cold air makes it more difficult to breathe properly. Blame that, works for me! (I can't use the excuse of being out of practice...)

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Of course as soon as I mention the great weather I read that Central Scotland is meant to get a band of rain overnight which is expected to freeze as soon as it hits the ground. Be careful out there!

^_^ I read that too, and yes – I'll be careful tomorrow :cold:

Take care if you're out and about tomorrow, and above all, keep it upright!! :bicycle:

al78

Guru
I felt like this today as well, weak and feeling like I'm cycling through treacle, and I've not had any significant break from cycling to work. I think putting the studded tyres on may have something to do with it. I was planning to set off for work ten minutes earlier tomorrow morning and ride at a slower pace, see if that helps recovery.

Top Bottom