What have I done now :) Moulton horror..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonk man

just gone and sent my entry form in for the Welsh National 12 hour time trial next month......

My bike is an early Standard 4 speed..

Am I going to crack 200 miles? = 16.5 mph..

I have done 130 in 12 hours on it in an audax event that had off road, a mountain and too much beer involved.. I have drop bars on it plus a good crank set but otherwise it is as it came out of the skip:ohmy::tongue::biggrin:
My daughter has volunteered to help out so I don't plan on stopping unless I really need to. Last time I did a 12 hour my back seized up [ I was on a racing bike ] and I lost at least half an hour and did 216 miles.
If anyone else fancies doing it you might get an entry if you contact the organiser today [ details on the CTT website ] ..... you know you want to.. :rolleyes:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Good luck.

I haven't even done a 100 yet, but I expect I'll get the itch to attempt a 12 one day.

Excellent bike choice.

Will1985

Über Member
Good luck! I've just filled in an entry form for a 50....hopping on a fixed bike I won't have ridden for 8 weeks, plus riding a 25 the afternoon before.

Just need to plan for proper disc to arrive to make me nice and fast :rofl:

A 12hr sounds like a challenge for the Mouseketeers....shame they wouldn't be able to ride together :smile:

OP
OP
bonk man

bonk man

Did a trial run last night, club 5.5 mile time trial:tongue:

well.... bit under geared so have dug out a smaller sprocket so I don't spin out at 23 mph. I averaged about 21 mph and it was windy so quite happy with that.
The forecast is good for Sunday, what a relief.. .

I went and did a hill climb race on Tuesday and was last, apart from a couple of lads on mountain bikes, but I have the record for a Moulton in this event:laugh:

OP
OP
bonk man

bonk man

Bit gutted..... so close to 200 miles I could have chucked the bike and cracked the distance..... 199.321 miles....

It was fairly tough on the day, some stiff breezes to contend with, only one section of about 7 miles did it help the rest it was on the shoulder or face on and I was self supported, just left my supplies at a time keeper point and wasted a lot of time getting food a drinks sorted out.

First 50 miles average was 19 mph and it was downhill [ metaphorically ] from there . Last 10 miles was quick but not enough. Pulled a muscle [ hip area ] after 70 miles so that was going into spasm occasionally.

Enough excuses, there is always next year, some proper training and improve the bike [ take the rack off, lighter rims and hopefully a close ratio 4 speed ] and a support crew..
Anyone fancy giving it a go? ;)

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Will1985 said:
A 12hr sounds like a challenge for the Mouseketeers....shame they wouldn't be able to ride together :biggrin:

True enough. I had to ride my recent biggie alone. Mind you, there were 3 blokes on Moultons who came along, and at least one of them finished within time.

To be fair, the one who finished had a vested interest in doing so. Went by name of Simon Moulton.

OP
OP
bonk man

bonk man

palinurus said:
Excellent work.

I do like seeing racks and mudguards at time trials.

Trouble is they rattle so much it becomes annoying and distracting. The rack on mine is also noisy, spose I ought to tighten it up:biggrin:

OP
OP
bonk man

bonk man

it remains to be seen if I make it into Cycling Weakly though:laugh:

Anyone else fancy it next year, any silly bikes welcome, tried to get my Penny farthing mate to do it this year but he declined.....
I wonder why..

I am sure they wouldn't mind some unusual machines being used as long as the rider takes the thing seriously and not just a Sunday pootle for a laugh.

Using a butchers bike wouldn't be in the spirit but 1930's racing machines and Bromptons fitted with tri bars would be ok. ...

Just been servicing the Moulton for tomorrows club ride and the gear cable broke,,,,, lucky it didn't snap in the race, blimey that would have been bad:wacko::eek:

Top Bottom