What is a 'SPORTIVE'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gds58

Über Member
Apologies to all for being a bit thick but can somebody please explain to me what a 'Sportive' is and how it works. I have raced extensively in Time Trials, Road Races and Track but packed up about 15 years ago. I have recently returned to cycling in an attempt to get some fitness now that I'm a couple of years into my 50's. I'm sure that 'Sportives' may have been around back then but I don't remember much about them. It seems from the Cycling press that these are really big at the moment and it might be something I would be looking to do.

Many thanks to all who reply.

Graham

frank9755

Cyclist
You may have known them as reliability rides. Since you've been away they've been very well marketed, have got fashionable and have attracted lots of people into cycling.

Garz

Squat Member
Usually a charity based event either through collecting sponsorship or part of the event fee is donated to a charitable cause. Some events however are conducted by companies and do not run it for charitable purposes.

A sportive (or cyclosportive) is a long distance (typically 50,60,75,100 miles) challenge event. Sometimes they are timed and can be rather competitive but for most can be a fun event with some camaraderie thrown in.

frank9755

Cyclist
Hi Frank,

I do remember 'Reliability Rides' but never took much interest in them. How do they work?

Reliability rides are just something with a bit more organisation than a normal bike ride, with a set route and a target time range to aim for.

Sportives are pretty similar from the cycling point of view. What is different is the marketing and the atmosphere that they have managed to build up. They have been made more accessible than more traditional forms of competitive cycling (time trialling, road racing) or even audax so they have a high proportion of relatively new cyclists. While this is to be applauded (and has probably made as big a contribution as anything to the resurgence in popularity of cycling ), an inevitable downside is that a larger proportion of the riders than with other forms of organised cycling have not ridden with clubs and have not learned the best practices of how to ride in groups, so you hear stories of pile-ups and near-misses.

As the poster above mentions, they are generally professionally run by events companies rather than by amateur cycling clubs. Therefore they are generally quite slick. While they can be expensive to enter, they do give quite a bit of value. There is generally a signed route, free energy bars and drinks (but not proper food!) and good changing and showering facilities.

Personally they are not my cup of tea (I mainly do audax and time trialling) but I did one out of curiosity last year, was impressed, and think they are a good thing for cycling.

e-rider

crappy member
A sportive is an overpriced cycle event that usually has poor organisation and lots of middle aged men in lycra on very expensive bikes going quite slow - people like them because you get free food, and it's cheaper than playing golf!

brockers

A sportive is an overpriced cycle event that usually has poor organisation and lots of middle aged men in lycra on very expensive bikes going quite slow - people like them because you get free food, and it's cheaper than playing golf!

I shouldn't, but :biggrin:

Many, perhaps mainly those who've been at this cycling lark for a few years can't really see the point of them, as essentially you're paying someone to organise a ride on public roads with traffic. In Europe, where they started, most (if not all?) are on closed roads which makes a big difference imo. BUT, if you like the sense of occasion, the shared experience, like to feel you're in a race but (without having to suffer the embarrassment of getting dropped..), and need a goal on a specific date to train for, then they can be very enjoyable.

Personally, I reckon I'd get just as much fun now in getting hold of the route and riding around it at my leisure with some chums. I don't really like riding in big groups of cyclists anymore where bike handling skills are an unknown and whose etiquette often leaves a lot to be desired.

GilesM

Legendary Member
Personally they are not my cup of tea (I mainly do audax and time trialling) but I did one out of curiosity last year, was impressed, and think they are a good thing for cycling.

From this thread I'm starting to learn what a Sportive is, and I remember reliability rides from my club cycling many years ago, but what is the difference between a Sportive and an Audax ride, I thought the Sportive was just the new name for an Audax, obviously I'm wrong, just interested to know the difference.

I think I came across a Sportive up in the Fort Bill/Glencoe area a couple of weeks ago, not impressed if people paid to be directed along the section of A82 from Onich to Fort Bill.

GilesM

Legendary Member
Personally, I reckon I'd get just as much fun now in getting hold of the route and riding around it at my leisure with some chums. I don't really like riding in big groups of cyclists anymore where bike handling skills are an unknown and whose etiquette often leaves a lot to be desired.

That would certainly worry me.

brockers

The well-worn definition goes something like

"Sportives are for people who like to pretend they are racing. Audax is for people who like to pretend they are not"

On an audax you are given a map and pay a couple of quid. On a sportive you are not given a map, but have hi-vizzed marshals pointing you in the right direction at junctions. There are energy bars and gels too. You pay a lot more for this. ;)

U

User482

Sportives are where you hand over a load of money (up to £65) to someone and then go for a ride on the road.

No-one is forced to participate...

I did my first Sportive this year (Forest of Dean Spring Classic): £25, plenty of free food, energy bars and drinks, a well-signposted course, excellent route (which would have been a complete pain to navigate with a map) and timing chip. It was great fun, and pretty tough.

GilesM

Legendary Member
The well-worn definition goes something like

"Sportives are for people who like to pretend they are racing. Audax is for people who like to pretend they are not"

On an audax you are given a map and pay a couple of quid. On a sportive you are not given a map, but have hi-vizzed marshals pointing you in the right direction at junctions. There are energy bars and gels too. You pay a lot more for this. ;)

:biggrin: However I can still remember that racing on a bike was the most painful thing I have ever done, why somebody would want to pretend to be doing something that unpleasant.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Reliability rides generally had a target time, eg. 100(miles) in 8(hrs) or 50 in 4. Sportives are challenge rides of short to middling distance with no upper time limits and with times given, but no placings. Audax proper starts at 200km (125m) and has upper and lower speed limits. Audax UK runs shorter events, but they're not internationally recognised.

Top Bottom