what is it about a brommie!?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lip03

Über Member
I need a folding bike for my commute to work as my train provider dosent see me unclipping my front wheel on my roadie enough!!

Obviously I want a brommie but I just wondered WHAT! It is about one that makes me go gooey inside! Lol
I like other folders but every time I see a little brom I think hmm I could karate kick you off that bike and have it away! Hehe only kidding!

Also second hand broms!? Relatively serviceable I presume!? But still not cheap! :sad:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
They do hold their value rather well do Brommies.
The thing I like about them is the fold. So compact, so stable when folded
And they're a pretty decent bike to ride, if a little twitchy. It's the only one in my stable I can't ride no-hands.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
second hand Brommies will vary, but

- hub gears do go from time to time
- the hinge action can wear and get a bit floppy
- bit by bit they're removing the silly nut fixings from the design, and an older Brommie might suffer from outdated and poorly designed fixings to the lights and rack
- the right (standard) pedals have improved (but not by much) and you may be looking at replacement
- the new Brompton saddle is a fine item, but an older one might not be so good

now, when set against the competition the Brompton is clearly not good value for money unless you take in to account this - if you keep it for a decade then you'll probably forget the £900 price tag, and if you sell it then you'll get most of your money back.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I'll add - it's a steel frame, and if you're not careful some of the components can rust through. Not that that especially affects the resale value, though.

Brommyboy

Über Member
One great thing about the Brompton is that nearly all changes are retro-installable. Parts do not keep getting redesigned and made obsolete, so spares remain available, even for the early models. They are still, after some 20 years, the best at folding and are more compact folded than most. The ride is reasonable to good. Cost is no higher than some of the better known competition but resale value remains high so they are a better investment. Most owners find that, if they should be restricted to just one cycle, then the Brompton will be the one to keep!

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
and, however much I love my Colnago, you can't beat this for pulling power..

27092011279.jpg

It must just be me that thinks they look totally uncool, especially if you are wearing a suit and helmet, carrying a briefcase and rushing for your train, tie streaming and flapping behind you. Not that such considerations would stop me doing exactly the same if needed.

In contrast the bloke and his wife I see, flat cap and headscarf, riding a local shared path with their dog in tow, look right.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Oh, I'm the first to admit they look like clown bikes when you see someone riding past on one, but from the saddle they are just lovely bikes to ride and the fold, as everyone says, is unbeatable in both speed and compactness.

and, however much I love my Colnago, you can't beat this for pulling power..

27092011279.jpg
On board shoulder massage. Nice.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Then get one!!! Hang the expense - as noted above, you're not going to lose much when it comes to selling.

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
Not a brommie but a Dahon and yes i know some of you will reboke but I waited for an age to find a Mu UNO with rear coaster brake and wow, i just love it. Colnago Master, Colnago CT1 but somehow this little folder has won me over! Shame the 2012 model has done away with the coaster brake due to some silly EU rule which is why I waited so long to find a decent last years model

I don't see the attraction myself - I've just bought a Dawes Kingpin for a third (at least) the price of a Brompton and I'm not sure the "smaller when folded" thing is worth the extra money. The Kingpin is light, comfy (I'm 6ft tall) and is relatively quick in 7th gear (got it up to 24mph this morning according to cyclemeter, although it was a gentle downhill!). I've done about 70 miles on it since last saturday without an ounce of discomfort, even in the wallet department!

Top Bottom