What is it with modern socks?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I remember Paxman famously dissing the falling standards of Marks & Sparks socks and he's right, they're poor but it's not just M&S, all socks disintegrate with alarming speed these days. Even if I factor in the extra wear and tear of the morning game of nick the sock, give it back, tug of war, with the dog I'm still wearing through them alarmingly. Of course My Aldi special summer cycling socks are still going great guns and are so good I wear them not just for cycling but all others, poor, pish poor. So as anyone found a quality sock?

Pringle

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Got to agree with you, socks in this country seem to be sh*te.I buy my socks from K-Mart in the USA when ever I am there.
Their own branded socks are quality.. seriously.

So if you have any friends over there, get some sent over.

ChrisKH

Guru
Got to agree with you, socks in this country seem to be sh*te.I buy my socks from K-Mart in the USA when ever I am there.
Their own branded socks are quality.. seriously.

So if you have any friends over there, get some sent over.

Ditto. But I get my socks and base layers from Target ( pronounced Tarjay and then it sounds a bit more French, like) when I'm over there.

My work socks from M & S get holey at the big toe within a couple of months.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I bought a huge pack of those M&S socks with the coloured toes and heels and the damned things keep rucking up. Rubbish indeed.

taxing

If you think you have problems with socks, try wearing tights. They often last me three wears.

tyred

Legendary Member
I bought socks in Tesco's once. I put a pair on in the morning, went to work, come home, took off my shoes and found I had holes in the damned things. Absolute shite. I buy from a market stall near where I work now. Unbranded, very cheap but seem to last for years.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Socks are rubbish, in general. Thinner walking socks from Millets, Bridgedale etc are very good I find but you have to pay. White sports socks seem to dtretch to twice the original size after a couple of washes.

Might I just add that my M&S jersey boxers have a label in them saying climate control ! What's that all about? I haven't noticed my bollix benefitting from any air conditioning!

My work socks don't last long in my work rigger boots, but apart from those I've had some pairs for ages. But then I actually don't wear them much when I haven't got the boots on so the boots don't chafe. I find socks mostly too tight and constrictive so prefer to be barefoot whenever possible.

Sizing is another area. I like wearing a new pair of socks the first time, usually fit well cushion and are a good fit. But after the first wash how much do they shrink?! Look to be half the size and get quite tight to put on. I actually think tight socks are as bad as a pair of ill fitting shoes. When I win the lottery I plan never to wear the same pair twice.

Top Bottom