What is it with some people

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthames

Über Member
I got right hooked today. The driver was rather shocked and apologetic when I caught up and asked her what the hell she was playing at.

This is what happened, I cycle up this one way road which has cars parked on both sides and pedestrians crossing when ever they feel like it. There was no where for her to pass. At the end of the road I signal to turn to the right and take a position that suggested that I was turning to the right. This woman pulls up along side in this MPV thing, I don't see her indicating, but she was in a position to turn left, or so I thought. The mistake I made there is I didn't look at her wheels. It was clear for me to go so I went, she did the same, but she then started to move across my front wheel, causing me to take evasive action and shout out a string of expletives. I caught up with her to look where she was going. She seemed a bit shocked and sheepish and mouthed sorry.

To visualise it better google maps of the scene is here: http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=50.840273,0.473429&spn=0.000711,0.002747&t=h&z=19
I am turning right from Western Road into Devonshire Road.

I am going to ask as a question for you all, what position would you take going up Western Road going by the overhead picture?

OP
OP
Matthames

Matthames

Über Member
Also another one, what position would you take going along De La Warr Parade? http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=50.838036,0.479013&spn=0.000711,0.001725&z=19

Just a note though, the promenade doesn't have a cycle path because of legal complications. There is a by-law in place that prohibits cycling along it, not that it stops any one.

eddiemee

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience, hope you're not too shaken up. In answer to your first question, I would always take primary position when turning right. That way there is less chance that someone will have space to pass you on either side before you have executed your turn. Don't get too far to the right or they might be tempted to squeeze past you on your left.

As for De La Warr Parade I would try to maintain primary position here as there is a high chance that one of the parked cars will attempt to reverse out. As a matter of etiquette I would move into secondary to let cars past IF THERE IS A SAFE PLACE TO DO SO.

OP
OP
Matthames

Matthames

Über Member
I am not to shaken up by it. Just one of those things, just lucky I wasn't left exposed with a bus bearing down on me.

De La Warr Parade, that is exactly what I do. Although had a taxi driver who didn't like the fact that I was in primary for my own and other peoples safety, it was a hot day so lots of people using the beach. Had the taxi driver been a bit more patient I would of moved over to secondary as soon as I passed a row of parked cars. I was travelling west to east.

GrasB

Veteran
I have to say I find that Taxi drivers are by far the worst drivers on the road for impatience & bullying, not only cycling but also in a car. They'll barge through on pinch points, overtakes, etc. & get all gestational if you suggest they should have yielded to your right of way.

Both places a strong primary, personally down De La Warr Parade if there was a safe place to pull into secondary as a cyclist I'd pull in & actually stop to let all the traffic behind passed (conditions permitting obviously. If there's 5 cars fine, if there's nose to tail traffic then just move to secondary).

chris__P

I'm a little confused - did she pull up alongside on your right hand side or your left hand side? I'm guessing if you thought she was turning left, it must have been on your left hand side, in which case I would suggest possibly you were too far to the right? Coming to the end of a narrow street, you are always better off to keep traffic behind you, so I would pretty much want to be in the middle of that road all the way down, so she doesn't try to sneak past where there isn't room, and signal early with a little glance over my shoulder, as if to say "I know you're there and I know you've seen me signal so don't try anything"

Tharg2007

Veteran
the idiot tried to undertake you on a corner forcing you off the road, very dangerous driving on her part. I would be surprised if she didn't realise you were turning right if you were positioned to the right. Typical couldnt give a toss/ ignore the cyclist attitude.
And yes, they are always apologetic after they get caught out.

Crankarm

Guru
At junctions or just before always eyeball the feckers behind you and their registration plates. If you get cut up as you describe a swift bang with your palm on the side of the car or roof, or a scrape from your pedal down the side or swift kick will teach them to be more patient.

I was in a car park Thursday evening patiently waiting following behind cars dithering and not sure which way they would turn - no indications what so ever when they finally did at the last second without warning. Also other cars were steaming up to junctions from the side as it was going home time. Several cars I thought were going to send me into orbit, so I unclipped my left foot, leg primed to give them a boot if need be to fend them off, which made them stop emergency stop stylee. I wear hi hi-viz and the fact they saw my leg ready to defend myself means they can't say SMIDSY which is just an excuse for not paying attention or lie when they have been caught out trying to knock you off or run you down.

Ashaman42

Über Member
I find Western Road is too slim to take anything but primary though I do normally swing to the right before I get to the end if I'm turning right onto Devonshire, this is to let people turn left but think it might be better to take a primary position to prevent incidents like your one.

As for De La Warr Parade, I don't ride it often but normally take primary (well primary ish, need to push myself right a bit more to clear the door zone) when going past parked cars and move left to ride the edge of the parking line if the spaces are clear.

Top Bottom