What is the best position for panniers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

greenmark

Guru
I've a question about positioning panniers, in particular front panniers.

I've heard that the best position for front panniers is for the weight to be centred as close to the hubs as possible. I've also heard to move them a bit further back behind the hub.

I'm wondering what the accumulated wisdom is on the matter

rich p

ridiculous old lush
There isn't a lot of choice once you've chosen your rack. I would only be able to shift mine a cm or two on the Tubus Ergos.

Best position for panniers..........on the garage shelf

Now get yourself a camper longflap

Ohps, sorry........... Thought i was still logged onto the CTC forum;):ohmy:

willem

Über Member
I do agree that front panniers are often unnecessary. Apart from that, I think you got it right: close to the hub, and not too far forward. If you expect a lot of off road cycling, you may consider a Thorn Mid loader (only if you have a Thorn bike). The Longflap Camper is a superb ultra light solution, but only if you do travel ultralight, with minimum volume to your luggage (the volume is the limiting factor). 24 litres for the Longflap and 10 litres at most for a large handlebar bag is only 34 litres in all. That is not much, but it can be done.
Willem

OP
OP
G

greenmark

Guru
Thanks all for the replies. I was planning on some camping tours round the island, and what with the mountains here there is plenty of different weather conditions I need to carry stuff for, which is why I'll occasionally have panniers up front.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Just because you have panniers, you don't have to fill them. As humans we should be able to exercise some self control!

I found adding front low riders transformed the handling of my touring bike from superb to virtual autopilot! In addition, four half filled panniers are easier to live with on tour than two, compression packed to the brim, rear ones.

stewie griffin

Über Member
Tim Bennet. said:
Just because you have panniers, you don't have to fill them. As humans we should be able to exercise some self control!

I found adding front low riders transformed the handling of my touring bike from superb to virtual autopilot! In addition, four half filled panniers are easier to live with on tour than two, compression packed to the brim, rear ones.

I could not agree more. Front panniers make my steering much more relaxed, much nicer.

As a rough rule (& if you have a choice), place them as low as possible & as far back, weight behind the steering axis will slow the steering (relaxed), weight in front of the steering axis will make it "twitchy".

So long as they are in pairs.....

andym

Über Member
Tim Bennet. said:

Well yes, I agree, but on the other hand I can't remember ever seeing anyone touring with half-empty panniers. :biggrin:

willem

Über Member
But a front rack and panniers weigh some 2-2,5 kilo even when empty, and cost something like 150 pounds. I suggest you use those 150 pounds to reduce the weight and volume of your luggage instead. Think of something like a Thermarest Neoair (410 grams and 1 litre) or one of the PHD ultralight sleeping bags. All in all this could save you at least three kilo's. And yes, you have to be prepared for bad weather. I am currently planning a trip in Western Norway in the early summer. It will be freezing cold at times (1000-1300 metres altitude), and probably very wet. My total luggage weight will be between 14 and 15 kilo's (rear panniers included). My bike handles beautifully with this. I only fit my front rack and front panners on our family tours, when I am the family mule.
Willem

Top Bottom