what is the best type of bike rack?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davess

hello.. i recently just got my new and first car which is a ford focus.. i've been into cycling for so long that i still don't want to outgrow that hobby just because i have a car already.. anyway, do you have any suggestions for the type of bike rack which will work better on my focus? thanks!

i've been into few forums and i wanted to get as many suggestions as possible..

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Moved to the Bikes and Accessories forum by the admin team.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Personally I prefer roof racks. Recently replaced my old fork clamping racks with those that clamp both wheels and down tube. Means I can get 4 bikes on the roof. I got the premium halfords racks, which are actually Thule made

InspireTheEmpathic

Personally I prefer roof racks. Recently replaced my old fork clamping racks with those that clamp both wheels and down tube. Means I can get 4 bikes on the roof. I got the premium halfords racks, which are actually Thule made

if you have carbon you cant really but carbon bikes/forks on roof rack ones as it can make your frame/forks smash into tiny little pieces. so a tow bar one for carbon im afraid. or just wing it!!:ohmy:

bobones

Veteran
I think the best ones are roof or towbar mounted, but they're expensive and roof racks and towbars can spoil the look of your car. For a Focus, which is a hatchback, I would get one of the high mount racks so that you can mount the bike(s) without obscurring your number plate and lights, otherwise you'll need a lighting board and the extra expensive of getting the wiring and plate done. I recently bought a Saris Bones 3 for my Audi A5 and it's fairly easy to put up and get off, but you can't lock the rack to the car or the bikes to the rack if you want to leave it parked with the bikes attached. I had to buy a lighting board and get the wiring done because the shape of the audi doesn't allow the bikes to be mounted high up. I'm sure you can get a decent cheap one from Halfords or Decathlon or the like although the Thule and Saris one are probably the best quality,

billflat12

Veteran
Have used various racks for many different bikes etc.& if you avoid multistory car parks or low barriers an don't mind using extra fuel with the extra drag then the thule proride 591 mounted on the roof are an excellent choice, along with being lockable easy to remove & simple to use these get my vote every time,(cheaper ones usually damage paintwork on your frame) , otherwise i would recommend you invest in a wheel supported, tow-bar mounted rack with lighting board attached, one that can be tilted or slid forward to allow access into your boot when loaded. visit : http://www.roofbox.co.uk/bike-carriers/ for a good choice.

e-rider

crappy member
the ONLY safe option for rear mounting is a towbar (towball) type rack.

If you don't have a towball and don't want to get one fitted, consider roof mounted systems only

wait4me

Veteran
if you have carbon you cant really but carbon bikes/forks on roof rack ones as it can make your frame/forks smash into tiny little pieces. so a tow bar one for carbon im afraid. or just wing it!!:ohmy:

Hi, Can you expand on the "you cant really but carbon bikes/forks on roof rack " comment.
I have a Giant Escape 1.5 which has carbon forks and I've just bought a Mont Blanc Barracuda for carrying the bike.
Comments/advice please

B4ssy

Spoke to the guy in my LBS he said he hasn't heard of any issues with a roof mounted rack and carbon bikes . Also had a look on the net through some forum discussions and about 90-95% of comment seemed to think there wouldn't be a problem.

Don't all the racing teams use roof mounted racks to transport the spare bikes?

I guess if you travel at a sensible speed you should be ok.

Chutzpah

Über Member

+2
smile.gif

Purchased mine by reserving online and picking up instore - I paid less because they were cheaper online at the time and also got cashback through Quidco.

You get two for your money too, and when I realised they were exactly the same as the Thule model (even the instructions are identical!) I was amazed - especially since one of the Thule carriers is more expensive than two of the Halfords carrier!

glaw5

Regular
I've got a Honda Civic 06 plate. Not keen on using roof rack and not got a tow bar. Just wondering what the best (and least expensive option) would be to go for?

Thanks!

Top Bottom