What is the correct way of braking?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mobi

How do you stop from speed? Do you just press brakes fully or just pump few times to reduce speed and finally press the brakes to be dead stop?

Do you operate both front & rear brakes only one?

:blush:

Depends on conditions and surfaces I'd say.

Dry road, almost doesn't matter so long as you use both brakes, Front then back, both together or even back front. The first is my preference and I always use the front to feather, except downhill, then I use the back.

Wet road back then front

loose surface back then front

I always try and ease off the brakes just before stoping as well. i.e. judge the distance, brake and ease, will stop you jerking to a halt and give you time to sort your feet out.

I only tend to pulse brake when mtn biking and not often.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Commuting I seem to use the front brake mostly whilst at a slower pace in traffice, at faster speeds both front and back,

RedBike

mobi said:
How do you stop from speed? Do you just press brakes fully or just pump few times to reduce speed and finally press the brakes to be dead stop?
:blush:

Neither. If your brakes work correctly then fully applying them will just lock the wheels; and I can't see what possible advantage pumping the brakes could possibly give.

If the wheel(s) start to slide then you do need to release then softly re-apply the brake; Is this what you meant by pumping the brakes?

Both my motorcycle CBT and an off-road training course i've just been on recommended that you apply both brakes at the same time strongly enough to remain in control with most of the braking being done by the front wheel. (Which is why the front brakes are often stronger than the rear!)

bonj2

on a road bike, don't use the back brake unless absolutely essential. I normally only ever use the front brake. In an emergency stop, use the back brake but not as hard as the front brake, and get your weight as far back as possible on the bike or else the back end fishtails around!

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Depends on conditions. If it's slippy I'm careful with the front brake, rather the back end sliding around than the front.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Varies here... depends upon conditions.....

Use both, but back most often to trim speed....

You'll just get used to it....... don't brake on corners though......

wlc1

I tried to do my commute without braking the other day - of the 20 miles I have to ride I lasted for 14 of them.

I was well chuffed.

Er... back on topic - both at the same time if I need to stop of just the front for slowing normally

Use both brakes to slow, or stop. Apply them both together, or the rear brake slightly before the front one. This steadies the bike and minimises the chances of going headfirst over the bars. There is no reason whatsoever to pump the brakes, but do release them slightly should a wheel skid or you feel as though you are about to go over the bars. This is what is taught on the local county council's cycling courses.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Both together. I've put Koolstop Salmons (soft) on the front and black (medium) pads on the rear. In theory I thought that this would allow me to grab both brakes equally hard... the practice bears out the theory!
The front does most of the braking anyway, the rear is almost redundant. More care obviously needed in the wet with the front brake.

As for braking round corners, it's a fallacy that it's not possible, start by feathering them both gently and you'll learn a useful technique.

Top Bottom