What is this???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My auntie, who knows I'm into bikes, sent me the postcard below. Can anybody tell me what these strange pistons, etc. are? Is it a bicycle with a motor? And why would it be in a Grand Prix? And what's a weapons factory got to do with it?

(Sorry about the quality, but I haven't got a scanner, so it's a picture of a picture..)

001.jpg

oxbob

Chrisz

Über Member
An early Fabrique National (who make military hardware - including the British used SLR) motorbike. It's a shaft-drive, 4 cylinder air cooled machine. The 'pistons' are actually the finned (air cooled) cylinters, with the inlet manifold leading from the carbourettor (at the rear, in front of the rear wheel) into the top of each cylinder.

I 'think' it was originally designed for military use (given FNs industry - look at their coat of arms) ;)

Chrisz

Über Member
Uncle Mort said:
Damn. For once someone asks a question I know the answer to and I'm busy driveling on about fennel. well done Chrisz. :smile:

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Fennel is lovely when used as a stuffing for grilled or baked wild trout :biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
punkypossum said:
My auntie, who knows I'm into bikes, sent me the postcard below. Can anybody tell me what these strange pistons, etc. are? Is it a bicycle with a motor? And why would it be in a Grand Prix? And what's a weapons factory got to do with it?

Didn't Enfield make bikes, as well as rifles?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Enfield

yes, they did...

I'm sure there are other companies with a similar range as well, just can't recall any names...

Arch said:
Didn't Enfield make bikes, as well as rifles?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Enfield

yes, they did...

I'm sure there are other companies with a similar range as well, just can't recall any names...

BSA and Lovell (USA) are two

Top Bottom