What kind of Lock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Egon Belmontie

Powered by Marmite.
Just after a bit of advice regarding types and makes of bike locks people use.

Currently using a basic low cost £10 cable lock, the only problem with it is its ok when i need to use it, but its a pain in the butt when im done as it seems to take ages to recoil around the frame again. Also not really sure how secure it really is (obviously not very for £10)

Anyone got any opinion on D Shackle's/Cable lock or motorbike locks etc, and is there any brands that stand out or are they same for same?

400bhp

Guru
IMO cable locks should only be used for times when your bike is temporarily locked up, e.g. when popping into a cafe, or a shop.

Look on bikeradar for reviews of D locks

FYI, I have 2 d-locks for use at work, both purchased after reviews on bikeradar. One is clearly better than the other, but then again it was 3 times the price (RRP-I bought of Fleabay for half of RRP).

I have 3 at home, in the garage too.

Sandra6

Veteran
I use a long cable lock as I rarely leave the bike for long and I often need to fasten three or more bikes up together.
I wouldn't buy the cheapest one, but I don't think you need the biggest heaviest thing you can find either.
I carry it in my bag on my back as I hate that it rattles against the frame if it's looped there.

defy-one

You need at the very least a D-lock, when leaving a bike anywhere. There are some industry standard levels of quality called gold and silver standard. As you can imagine locks in the gold standard will cost £60 plus.
I use a abus D-lock around the frame and rear wheel, and then a cable lock around the front. That was ok for my old hybrid, but now I have a Triban, I plan to use a better cable lock. Weight being an issue, as I can't be doing a 44 round trip commute with 2 D-locks on the bike

400bhp

Guru
You need at the very least a D-lock, when leaving a bike anywhere. There are some industry standard levels of quality called gold and silver standard. As you can imagine locks in the gold standard will cost £60 plus.
I use a abus D-lock around the frame and rear wheel, and then a cable lock around the front. That was ok for my old hybrid, but now I have a Triban, I plan to use a better cable lock. Weight being an issue, as I can't be doing a 44 round trip commute with 2 D-locks on the bike

Not off fleabay.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I bought a plastic coated chain and key lock for £1.74 the other day. I haven't opened it yet as i very rarely leave my bike unattended. I usually cycle to watch my local footy team where i chain my bike to the railings outside, though i leave it where i can keep an eye on it. I don't know how good it'll be but i don't think that i'm going to find someone trying to pick the lock, in a crowd.
I remember someone who had a combination lock, but he could never remember the number, so he taped it to the lock on some paper and covered it with some water proof coating!:ohmy::laugh:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Sold Secure Gold standard D lock and cable.... £30ish inc postage.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Master-Street-Fortum-280x110mm-1200x10mm/dp/B000XRQ8UQ
It's had mixed reviews but if your insurance people demand a Gold rated lock, it's worth considering. The frame mounting bracket that came with mine 3 years ago was pretty useless.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I have an Abus Granite Extreme. It weighs almost as much as the bike!:tongue:
1233577889628-1mlazg76lfheq-670-75.jpg

I do also use a cheap Halfords lock for when the bike is in sight.

Arch also has one of the Halfords locks and we lock our bikes together, and to something, with them both when we are out on a cafe ride.
We also both carry random cable locks for looping through wheels, trailers, and my helmet.
220px-CombinationBikeLock.JPG

Top Bottom