What language?

• German

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • French

• Spanish

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plax

Guru
I'm contemplating learning a new language to try and give me something else to do of an evening other than while away the hours on the computer.

The languages that interest me, especially from a commerce/travelling point of view are;

German
French
Spanish

I did German & French at school much of which has long been forgotten. Spanish I have never learnt.

I plan on getting the relevant learning resources from the local library and taking it from there.

I thought I'd do a poll.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Plax said:
I thought I'd do a poll.

You might need Polish for that :smile:

Seriously tho' try French again. I would if I could.

Or Gaelic (Scots) ????

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I would try French to start with. I think you will be surprised how much you will have remembered from school, and that gives you a head start which is good for morale.

Good luck.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Every time I have attempted Dutch whilst in Holland, the Dutch always seem to reply back in better English then wot I speak innit..

ComedyPilot said:
I voted German, but then again I speak it, so am biased.

I am trying to pick up bts of Dutch before my holiday in May.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I speak on the phone daily with Dutch colleagues, so pick up bits then.

I need to immerse myself over there and give it a bash.

I am going solo, so if I don't try to speak the language (I will) I will have a lonely 10 days (Iwon't).

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I'd do French. Everyone should try cycling in France at some point, and you strike me as someone who's keen on her food. French food is rather good.
French gives you a bit of a headstart in Spanish - both languages grew out of Latin, so there's a similar logic and syntax. Plus they speak Spanish in South America (except for the bits where they speak Portuguese). If you pronounce Spanish words as though they were French, they're often not too far off Portuguese.
Take beer - Cerveja.
Prounounced in a Spanish style - Ther-vay-tha.
Prounounced as though it's French - Sair-vay-ja, with a soft J. Works in Portugal.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I went for Spanish it is close to Italian and Portuguese so gives a good core starting point for two other widely spoken languages. I speak Portuguese and understand a lot of Spanish and quite a lot of Italian

monnet

Guru
HLaB said:
Spanish I'm told is a hard language but if you're up for it I think it presents the most interesting travel opportunities, South America.

I think it's fair to say all languages are difficult to learn but in terms of the basics, i think Spanish is one of the easiest for native English speakers to pick up. Speaking it (like any language) to a high standard, understanding the nuances, idioms and the myriad dialects is, of course, a rather different proposition al together.

I'd vote Spanish. But then any language is good - I always feel like a twit when I go to non-Spanish speaking countries and have to resort to phrase books and English. I want a sign that says, 'not an ignorant idiot, I speak another language, just not yours. Sorry!'

I didn't vote as I think there are merits and advantages in learning all three.

If you have a preference for one country over the others (for work or holiday reasons) then it's probably best to go for that one.

But if I had to choose one, I'd go for Spanish (or French ;))!

Top Bottom