What mileage for a beginners ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

I've been asked to assist in the organisation of a bike ride for all comers. It's intended to be a family type event, the ride culminating in a picnic.There's also a longer term aim to do a longer, mutli-day sponsored ride - it's hoped that appetites might be wetted, and people inspired,by this less daunting initial event.

To give you a bit of background, the ride is suggested by a local ex-pat magazine (I live in France), the readership varies from young working families to the retired, the majority being the latter I suspect. A big turn out is not expected.

I don't really know what a non intimidating sort of distance might be, and planning a non-hilly route around here isn't going to be easy either.

Have the panel any thoughts? On mileage and anything else.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
25 mile.

Enough to sting the legs but not batter the body/mind- and it's 1/4 of a century so it gets the imagination going!

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
My 6 year old did 11 miles fuelled on Mars Bars and a can of coke. If the route is relatively flat 20 to 25 miles with a nice break in the middle, as Dan says should be fine. It will seem like an achievement. If you have to go hilly maybe 15 to 20. Just avoid any major climbs.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
It's difficult, because beginners will vary so much and if kids are involved some could be seriously slow. Only 4 years ago, I would seriously have struggled to do much more than about 5-6 miles and I'd have not gone for a second ride soon enough to see any improvement. The hills will be particularly bad, especially if you have unfit or overweight people on bikes with poor fit which aren't in perfect shape either.

I would probably try to design a route which included optional loops and long ways around things, so you could alter the ride depending on how people are doing. Excuses to stop and look at things could help too. :smile:

simon.r

Person
I think 25 miles is too far.

I know 40 year olds who have done an 18 mile (flat) charity ride and consider that to be too far. If your target group is largely retired people who aren't regular cyclists then I'd suggest 10 miles would be more than enough.

Lee_M

Guru
25 is too far for a beginner ride. i have a friend doing the london2 brighton moonride in july and his first ride he struggled to do 6 miles

Diggs

Veteran
It may be that this adds too much complexity of the organisation but what about a smaller 5 mile loop for "family" and an extention to that loop for the more active?

Kins

Über Member
5 or 6 miles if its a family day on the outward leg before the picnic and 4 or 5 miles back should be plenty giving the hilly nature. 5 miles killed me when I started but that was trying to hard as well. If its a gentle potter that will be plenty to wet the appetite and won't put off the fat blokes/lasses.

Risex4

Dropped by the autobus
How about 25km?

Its a good "achievement" number (as in "I cycled 25km this weekend" :smugface: ). The 15.5 miles (as it translates should be a manageable distance for the 'uninitiated' yet be a decent spin out for more able/experienced legs. Also, if you aim for 10mph target speed, thats 90 minutes ish of riding time, which if its a leisure picnic cruise Im guessing may be enough?

Radchenister

Veteran
25 to 30K sounds about right but with options: I would aim for a figure of eight from a well chosen and scenic picnic spot as the middle of the eight (start and end point, so everyone knows the location of the stationery social bit) - you could do perhaps 10K on the first loop and say 15K on the second loop; make the second loop the more challenging in terms of levels. If it was me I could do the first part with my lad (he's 10) and then leave him with his mum and sister whilst going on to do the second part. Caters for older folks, non cyclists and kids, who will all have done enough to feel they've accomplished something and the second half adds a bit more for the fit and more frequent riders. Perhaps a variety of prizes for all ages and abilities as well. The second loop could be pushed out (or/and the first for that matter) if there's a heavy weighting of serious folks involved, or perhaps add another lap?

Hip Priest

Veteran
The Tyne Six Bridges rides (part of the Newcastle Cyclone weekender) are for beginners, and are either 10.5 or 15.5 miles in distance.

OP
OP
Y

yello

Thanks to all for the feedback. I had thought 20 to 25km mainly because, in France, obviously the road signs are in km! But also because it does have that psychological appeal (as mentioned).

At this stage, we haven't defined what it is we're trying to achieve. We have to do that first.

We don't know who might be interested, their ages or abilities, and so we're trying to devise a course that's both challenging yet not off-putting. There's also the longer term aims of the chief organiser to be born in mind. As mentioned earlier, they're wanting to do a multi-day sponsored ride at some stage. They're looking, ultimately, for people to do that with.

My initial thinking had been more along the lines of 'family ride' but after a conversation last night, I realised that doesn't square with the longer term plan. It could be done as a separate venture though.I think a 25km circuit around here is the sort of thing to propose, then hold our breaths to see if it interests anyone.

I'm going on the radio this Weds to talk about it (amongst other things!) so I think that's the line I'll pitch.

I think the 25k is about right if its an all ability family event.
As children may be riding, although they have boundless energy, their attention span is short so max an hour out to the picnic

Top Bottom