Votes: 16 8.4%
  • Gallery

Votes: 37 19.5%
  • Downloads

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Chat

Votes: 46 24.2%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shaun

Founder
I want to take a poll regarding the parts of CycleChat that you use.

I realise the forums are the key to the site, but want to know how much you use the other (new) features of the site as well - the ones that were introduced in July when we moved to the new software platform.

I'll be using the poll results to help me decide the direction CC is going to take in the New Year, so please - add your vote as it may make a difference to the future of CC.

I'm not saying any more for the moment, but please, let me know which of the features of the site you use:

• Forums
  • Blogs
  • Calendar
  • Gallery
  • Downloads
  • Chat
Thanks,
Shaun :biggrin:

Errmmm... I suppose you can't actually see this thread without entering the 'forums' section, so everyone who answers this poll ought to be checking 'forums'. I wonder who the odd one out is then :rolleyes: .

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
He he ... polls aren't necessarily ideal, but I didn't fancy manually counting all the replies ... :biggrin:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Forums (less than I used to).
Chat, I really value this and kept interest up when I've used the site less.
Blogs, read the odd bit.
Not used any of the other features.

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
Feel free to add general feedback here too, as I'm keen to understand if the software move has been a positive or negative thing (on the whole) for the site.

We're less busy than we used to be, which could be down to a number of factors, including spreading the content of the site across different applications/features, but without people letting me know I can only guess.

I suppose the key question is - would you like to see a return to a simpler forums software, without the bells and whistles? A "back to basics" move if you will?

Has the new software made it more difficult for you to access CycleChat? Do you find the layout particularly awkward to use? Is it all a bit "too much"?

Is it worth considering a move to a simpler platform, or do you want to keep what we've got and work on it some more to make it better?

Let me know ... :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Shaun,
Not noticed any change to the way I open up or use the forums, though I only use that feature, [only tried 'chat' a couple of times] and had a go on blogs but haven't been back to them since.
No problems with any of it.... many thanks and well done!

Dan B

Disengaged member
I already have a blog elsewhere ... and a calendar ... and a flickr account ... and any kind of online chat is a complete timesuck ime ... so, really, the forums.

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
I already have a blog elsewhere ... and a calendar ... and a flickr account ... and any kind of online chat is a complete timesuck ime ... so, really, the forums.

+1

Two Three blogs, and a calendar, and flickr, and skype/gmail and twitter. I don't use chat because I already spend too much time in the timesuck that is the internet. I only use the forum.

Sam

Panter

Just call me Chris...

+2 really.

All great features, but I just don't require the use of them.

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
Hmmm ... this is what I've been wondering ... did we actually need any of it in the first place?

I'm beginning to think I let my ego get the better of me and got carried away trying to create a "be all" site, when what people actually want from CC is just a simple, easy-to-use forum site where they can chat with their friends and dip in and out without any real effort?

Keep the feedback coming - it's important as it may drive a sea change in the new year.

Cheers,

mark barker

I've not ventured into the chatroom (my antique browser doesn't support it), but on other forums that I've used in the past the introduction of chat or shout boxes has reduced the forum use in general. Those that use the chat option get instant responses to queries or observations, so the topic dies almost as soon as its started. If the same point was made on a thread, it'd go on forever.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I've not ventured into the chatroom (my antique browser doesn't support it), but on other forums that I've used in the past the introduction of chat or shout boxes has reduced the forum use in general. Those that use the chat option get instant responses to queries or observations, so the topic dies almost as soon as its started. If the same point was made on a thread, it'd go on forever.

That's an interesting observation!!

It's true! I've hardly seen Rich since the Chat Room swallowed him up!

:cry:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
In due fairness, the chat feature doesn't stop people from asking questions on the forum because it's hardly ever discussing that kind of stuff. It tends to be more dynamic banter. I would be really dissapointed if this feature is ditched!

One of the reasons I post less on the forums is that CC is now blocked by my work. The alternative "cycle-cafe" URLs will work but all links have to be manually altered by removing "cyclechat" and replacing with "cycle-cafe". I can read stuff but cannot log in :sad:

Shaun - would it be a mega amount of work to enable the "-cafe" as a fully working alternative? Oh and please, please please don't turn off the chat feature. We have a core of regular chatters and more and more new folk popping in for some harmless fun all the time. It's an excellent addition to the already excellent site :biggrin:

Cheers,
SD

Top Bottom