what pen do you use and why

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
ok about 15 yrs ago i picked up a silver coloured object from the roadside , gave it a quick wipe down to reveal a Papermate biro , to this day still using it at work all day .

cant stand any other types of pens from cheepo bics to the more expensive ones , they just dont feel right .

plus have to have fine nib with blue ink .

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Black ink medium nib fountain pen for me. I've just bought a Lammy Safari which is very nice, but I still like my Parker Jotter fountain pen.

At work I tend to use standard BIC biros, but the parker actually makes me want to write more :smile:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I have a Cross biro and a Mont Blanc propelling pencil. Both were presents from family members. I don't use a fountain pen often because as a leftie I tend to smudge.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
i was given a platinum nibbed mont blanc, i used it for about a week before the faff of refilling it and smudging everything consigned it to the draw, its been there ever since. i use cheap pens from the stationary cupboard, and i chew them all too.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Medium black Papermate Flexigrip ultra.

I prefer the one with the fixed refil and a cap but I can't any for sale at stationers so I have to make to with the retractable ones. I might have to get a box from Ebay.

I find they feel 'right' in my hand and write really well for my writing style.
119442.jpg

Also I like the Pilot DR pigment ink Drawing Pen. Usually I use the 0.1, 0.3 and 0.5 sizes.
These give me a good control over how I form my lines both writing and drawing. The 0.1 lets me write really tiny writing in my note/sketch pad.
Pilot%20DR.jpg

3narf

For whom the bell dings
A black one. I'm not allowed to sign the aircraft tech log with any other colour (I can sign a US registered a/c tech log with a blue one, but then I'd need 2 pens!)

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Mont Blanc Meisterstuck Traveller Fountain Pen that I've used for some 12 years.
I did all my O, A HND and Degree with a Parker fountain pen.
I'm a big fan of Shaeffer Targa Fountain pens but have lost both that I ever owned.
Not a fan of biros, but like Propelling pencils.
My writing has deteriorated to 'Doctors scribble' unfortunately since computerisation.

I have a couple of Cross pens I've been bought over the years and I prefer a medium nib and blue refill in them.
Day to day though I often find I like the feel of a cheap plastic pen, a classic Biro, a Staedtler Stick or even just a random corporate plastic give away pen.

[EDIT] Just remembered I have a Fischer Space Pen too. It writes upside down and over grease etc and comes in handy working in the motor trade.
Might be another urban myth, but they say Nasa spent muti million $'s developing the space pen, Russia on the other hand used a pencil :laugh:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Medium black Papermate Flexigrip ultra.

I prefer the one with the fixed refil and a cap but I can't any for sale at stationers so I have to make to with the retractable ones. I might have to get a box from Ebay.

I find they feel 'right' in my hand and write really well for my writing style.
119442.jpg

Also I like the Pilot DR pigment ink Drawing Pen. Usually I use the 0.1, 0.3 and 0.5 sizes.
These give me a good control over how I form my lines both writing and drawing. The 0.1 lets me write really tiny writing in my note/sketch pad.
Pilot%20DR.jpg
Yikes! What is the nib type on that? I used to love my Pentel Ceranomatic draughting pens ( 0.3 mm nib ). A great pen to draw and write with....then they stopped making the ink cartridges and I was cast out into the miserable world of rollerballs. I would love to return to handwriting paradise with a proper drawing pen. How much are they BTW?

Thanks.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
I never knew there were so many different pens!

I only know black ones, blue ones and, err... red ones? Red ones. That's it, I think.

gavintc

Guru
I love my Waterman fountain pen. It is looking a bit shabby these days, but writes so well. I have a Mont Blanc, but much prefer, my older Waterman.

Parker Sonnet ballpoint and pencil. Got the fountain pen but don't use it much.
Had the set 18 years and my writing is crap without them. I think it's to do with the weight - they're heavy.
Been battered and sent back to Parker for rebuild twice, but keeps going.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Yikes! What is the nib type on that? I used to love my Pentel Ceranomatic draughting pens ( 0.3 mm nib ). A great pen to draw and write with....then they stopped making the ink cartridges and I was cast out into the miserable world of rollerballs. I would love to return to handwriting paradise with a proper drawing pen. How much are they BTW?

Thanks.
They are tiny felt tips in a metal shroud and write well without any pressure on the tip. Unlike ball points and roller balls there is no wetting or stringing with the pigment, it is either there or not. Used as a draughting pen the lines are precise and even and sized properly, as a drawing pen they can make very very fine lines. The 0.1 can do a 0.1mm line or it can do so fine it is barely there. With it I can write text that is little more then 1mm high, useful when my sketch pad is only A6 size.

I can't remember the price but a quick search shows Amazon at about £2.50 a pen, high street stationers would be about £3.50 I guess.

Top Bottom