what road bike to buy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lewis89

Hi iam looking to get into cycling would like to get a road bike but not sure which one to get my budget is up to £500.

Any advise would be great thanks :smile:

PoweredByVeg

Über Member
http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m7b0s6p3591

http://www.thebikefactory.co.uk/productdetails.asp?productid=64850

Hi there^_^
It's that eternal question of which road bike:wacko:
The above links are just two that are popular in your price range, and just the tip of the iceberg of what's out there!

I'm sure there'll be lots more opinions and advice along shortly, good luck with your search, and enjoy your bike:bicycle:

OP
OP
L

lewis89

the two bikes i have been looking at are are the GT GTR SERIES 5 nd GIANT DEFY 2. whats everyone thoughts on theses two bikes?

OP
OP
L

lewis89

iam from west yorkshire, will be using the bike everyday after work for fitness. enjoy been out the house.

Speedywheelsjeans

Something second hand :thumbsup: ... I buy my bikes second hand because they are cheaper, i am only going to wreck them anyways, most decent bikes dont see a lot of use and a lot are sold on after only doing a few miles as people cant get to grips with them. I bought my Cannondale in my sig for £600, its got a full dura ace groupset, carbon profile design TT bars, alien carbon seatpost, CODA cranks and campag pro fit pedals.
If bought new that would have cost me an incredible amount of money, the guy who bought it bought it new and built it up, did a few 10 mile TT's decided he hated TT's and put it on ebay.

You tend to get much more for your money if your willing to accept a few chips, a bit of wear on the drivetrain and some scuffs here and there.

Psyclist

Über Member

GTR looks good, but a bit over priced for last years model. I bought my 2011 Giant Defy 4 for £400 brand new with the same groupset and tyres.

I would choose the Series 5 over the Defy 2 2011 model though due to the carbon fork and the sub 10kilo weight as the Defy has an alu fork which will feel like a bone shaker on rough roads, whereas carbon fork dampens the shocks.

Also replacing the Giant alu fork won't be easy as it has an odd sized steerer also known as Overdive and I've only seen a fork made by a Chinese carbon company which makes a fork the same steerer size (also the Chinese fork is a Pinarello bike style)

As many suggested, buy second hand and you'll get more for your money. If you don't end up buying locally and buy online and are cautious of buying online then read Thread on buying and selling online (sorry for posting to a thread to another forum)

What to look for when buying used is another thread to check out if you need to check over a bike.

Top Bottom