What saddles are you sportif guys sitting on?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

I am looking for a saddle to stick on my new bikebuild to be...so i thought i'd ask in here and get some pro advice on how to keep my arse happy.:whistle:

ghitchen

Assuming your current saddle is comfortable (and if it isn't, why are you using it?) then why not use the same model? I have the same saddle on all my bikes so that my backside doesn't have to re-adjust every time I swap.

FWIW I use Selle San Marco SKN, but what suits me might not suit you.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
gavintc said:
Spec Toupe

AFAIK widest available Toupe is 143mm. I guess you (BTFB) are a similar size to me (6'5" & 16st) I have found the 143mm spesh saddles (alias) too narrow, the 155mm is better, bur still not 100% comfortable for me ;)

Jonathan M

Use whatever saddle suits your @rse.

Years ago the MTB mags raved about how comfy the WTB saddles were. At the time I was using a Ritchey which was superbly comfy, but the rails broke, so that dented my confidence in the Ritchey range. So I splashed out on the WTB and spent a year convincing myself it would break in eventually.

I was using Selle Italia saddles on my road bike at the time (still do, Trimatic Gels) but decided to fit a Flite to my MTB. And it works! Still does after several years use.

It can be a ot of trial & error, but now I know that pretty much Selle Italia saddles, Flites, Trimatic gel, Oktavias, etc suit my backside. So that what I personally use. You may find other makes work for you. The least useful way of choosing a saddle is through magazine reviews IMHO.

yello

I have a Specialized Avatar, a Fizik pave, a Selle Italia SLR, a Selle San Marco rolls and whatever saddle it is on the Pompino (the On-One own brand). I can't say I have major problems with any of them. If I had to pick one (for distance riding) it'd probably be the Avatar.

peanut

flippin minefield is confy saddles.

I recently bought 3x saddles and none of them turned out to be very comfortable. The Selle Italia X2 looks tasty but is still in the wrapper cos a thumb/finger pressure test made it obvious it was going to be too firm .
I think a lot depeds on how heavy you are. Best saddle I have is an old Specialized Orange saddle

The Sam Marco Regal looks comfy and is favoured by Boonan and Wiggy amongst others. Might try that next.

Chris James

Über Member
I suppose the 'problem' with Brooks is the weight. I have a B17N which is comfy for pretty much any distance. But it probably weighs 40% more than a lot of the other suggestions above.

Whether that extra 200g practically makes any difference at all as far as sportive performance is debatable.

BTFB already has a Brooks on his tourer so I guess is looking to try something lighter and sportier for a change. I haven't tried one, but Charge Spoons seem to get good reviews for comfort and weight and are cheap enough for a punt.

Top Bottom