what should i buy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ACW

Hi Everybody
35 years on a diamond frame bike is enough and i want a recumbent but what should i be looking for.
daily ride to work summer and winter 10 miles a day, cant do longer than 20 miles just now as my back is killing me after that so i am hoping that a recumbent will enable me to do longer rides, 50miles at least. i want to build up my stamina but cant get the miles done. i like to go fast or i may enjoy going slow on a recumbent, frankly i have no idea.

what would you recommend, low racer, tourer, hiracer?

thanks in advance

Andy

I would suggest you contact D.TEK HPVS about your wishes and wants .
Kevin will put you on the right track and should save you pounds ££££'s in the long term ;)
All for the cost of a 15 min phone call.
His intro session is the best in the country !
A number of Cycle Chat forum members have been to the Little Thetford "Sweet-shop" :smile:.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Depends where you are in the country.

I've had very good service from:
London:
Stuart at Bikefix in Lambs Conduit Street (challenge, hpvelotechnik, burrows, ice, bachetta, raptobike). He'll let you take any of them out for trial rides, and is a good source of information. Good website too, at www.bikefix.co.uk

Oliver at London Recumbents. Naff website, but great service and very good information. (Challenge, Hase). Is based in Dulwich Park, and lets you hire / trial anything he's got in the shed. Is very helpful.

Edinburgh David at http://www.laid-back-bikes.co.uk/ is very good indeed. Extremely helpful, and arranges day tours to try out potential purchases. A wealth of information, offering Challenge, Raptobike, Nazca, Voss, Ice.

There's also http://www.trikesandstuff.co.uk/ (speak to Catrike on these boards) in Kent. He has a wealth of information on catrike, go one, M5 and accessories, and has been very good to me in the past.

Where are you based?

3tyretrackterry

try D tek first but there is a trice q on this forum for sale and on velovision there is a trice explorer for sale and i must say that the explorer is a mighty fine trike as i have one and couldnt be more pleased with it hope this helps
ian

I endorse the advice given above, but a trip to Dtek is going to be worthwhile wherever you are. Kevin holds a large stock; you can try all the different flavours, and then choose something used if you do not want to buy new. I haven't heard a bad word said about him. It sounds like a short wheelbase might suit you - but you do not know until you've tried a few bikes. For instance, you might find that you really get on well with under seat steering, when you thought that above seat steering was the way to go. I came to 'bents because of the pain I experienced on DFs, and they really are the solution to my problems - I hope they enable you to get back to doing the mileages you want. Good Luck.

stevew

Wot they said +1. I think it may be worth checking out the Bacchetta Giro now as the Cafe is no longer made. I love my Cafe and would recommend it to you. Riding position is the same on the Cafe and the Giro. This is assuming that you may want two wheels. Purchased from Kevin at Dtek and a satisfied customer.

OP
OP
ACW

ACW

i live in ayrshire south of glasgow,
2nd question: - do i go for full suspension, rear only or none at all.

ayrshire recently won worst roads in the country award!!

Thanks

byegad

Legendary Member
There are good reasons on oth sides.

Usually suspension equals weight, but gives a smooth ride.

On the other hand, the recumbent position spreads any impact from the road over a lot more of your body than a DF position. It is possible to brace between your feet and the top of the seat for really big potholes, if you feel the need.

squeaker

Über Member
Suspension

ACW said:
do i go for full suspension, rear only or none at all.
ayrshire recently won worst roads in the country award!
IME (full sus Grasshopper - and previously Mistral - vs rear suspension only Trice) I'd go full sus., but there is a financial and weight penalty. On the plus side is comfort and, on bumpy roads at speed, control from having decent suspension. (On a DF your arms and legs can provide isolation from shock: as Byegad said you can lever yourself up on a 'bent, but it's not as natural as on a DF.)
But do try as many as possible: enjoy!

dmb

Andy do you plan to ride with anyone on a DF? if so the bacetta aero is pretty close to a DF in most areas, makes it possible to ride with them, a trike or a heavier sus bet are a little on the slow side

dmb

The bachetta also has an adjustable seat so can play with the recline angle and the smaller 24 wheels means its not too high either.

Top Bottom