What size slicks on a 2.1" MTB wheel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yellowhammer

If I wanted to buy a spare set of tyres for my Trek, just for road use, what width should I use? The wheels are 26" x 2.1". Am I right in thinking that narrower means faster? I like faster ;)

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
its the width of the rim that governs tyre width you can run. I run 1.3's on my mtb commuter. Very fast they are too

OP
OP
yellowhammer

yellowhammer

Cheers Steve. Is 1.3 the width of your rims then, or your tyres? I'm assuming that 2.1" is the width of mine, although that seems quite wide. In fact I may go and measure them!

RedBike

2.1 inches is the width of your tyre. Your rim will probably be about 17 or 19mm

A 17mm rim will take (just about) a 1.3inch tyre but the smallest size you're suppost to fit on a 19mm rim is bout 1.5inch.

When it comes to tyres / rims manufactures seem to 'calibrate' their rulers a bit differently to everyone else so don't be too worried if your 2.1" tyres actually seem to measure 2.0.

btw, you will probably need to fit new inner tubes as well if you're reducing the width of your tyres that much.

Mr Pig

I use these:

LINK

They are 1.5 wide, quick enough on the road but still ok for use on dirt tracks etc. Don't forget that the amount of air pressure in the tyre makes a huge difference to how fast they roll too.

OP
OP
yellowhammer

yellowhammer

They look just the ticket for my commute Mr P, ta. I'm running Bontrager Hardcase semislicks at the mo which work just fine to be honest. I'm tempted to go for the lightest, fastst road tyres available just for playing silly beggars. Any suggestions for those?

Top Bottom