What Speed should I look to average?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Deanno1dad

Über Member
Currently use a Scott Sub30 hybrid with a garmin GPS.
What do you guys average over a journey as want to set myself reasonable targets to improve fitness levels.
Currently with stops for drinks and traffic lights etc..I'm seeing 13 mph over my current 12 mile circuit lap as an average..with a top speed of 27 mph.
What averages do you folks get and how much quicker then 27mph is realistic?

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
i do an 8 mile commute and average 17 mph in and about 12-13 mph home. so much depends on route, hills traffic etc so nooones real world MPH will be the same!!

This is your average!

Increase it at your pace, otherwise if you set unrealistic targets then it can become demoralising when you fail to each them!

However the effort and speed are not all that there is too it.

My "moving time" on my commute is a steady 34 minutes, a calculated average of 12 mph, however the actual time varies because of traffic lights, other road users, turning vehicles (etc.) so my actual average changes from day to day through no fault of my own.

redcard

Veteran
This is your average!

Increase it at your pace, otherwise if you set unrealistic targets then it can become demoralising when you fail to each them!

This.

I think an increase of 5%-10% over a month is probably achievable and realistic, after that you'll probably be looking at smaller gains.

Set up a spreadsheet or join one of the online tracking sites, and just make sure the line is always going in the right direction!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
13 mph is about what I'd expect for that type of bike and it's about what I do on similar tyres. The information I have is that the Scott Sub30 comes with 700x37c tyres. Make sure they are inflated near the stated max pressure for best speed or you could try a narrower tyre which would reduce rolling resistance. Check though what width tyres your rims will take. Try Sheldon Brown for more info: http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

Norm

Last week, with a cold wind and a touch of rain in the air, together with salt on the roads, I went out on my rigid MTB with road tyres and did my 12 mile loop at an average speed of 11 mph.

Last night, as it was warmer, dry and the roads were clear of insta-rust, I took my road bike and did the same loop at an average of 14mph.

I very much doubt that I had got 25% fitter in a week.

13mph seems like a good speed but, IMO, there are so many variables (road surface, terrain, time of day, traffic, junctions... and I haven't even got onto the bike or the rider) that the main person you should be comparing yourself to is you a week / month / year ago. :thumbsup:

jim55

Guru
id say that averages on my commute(and most other peoples for that )do not reflect properly ,if the lights are at red i try and time it and approach slowly (cant trackstand )so i dont need to unclip,this must b seen as moving time thats counted and approaching lights at walking pace for say 30 sec a few times must drag down my average ,i tried it once using strava and my top speed was 29 mph(theres a downhill section and i can pick up a bit of steam if traffic allows) i think but all the slow speed stuff brought it down to 12 i f i rem right !prob id average 14-15 on a proper ride but urban is totally diff

PpPete

Legendary Member
When I started riding about 3 years ago I struggled to maintain 12 mph (moving average) over any appreciable distance.
Now I can just about manage 17 mph for a flattish 25 miles or so, and hold 13-14 mph on audax rides.
I'll be 54 this year... and now tantalisingly close to 25 BMI for the first time since I gave up smoking in 1993.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
Since doing a few rides with my new HR monitor I've realised that my average speed is pushing me way up into mid zones when I really aught to be lower, so I need to ride slower!

Seriously tho, your average speed is personal and as others have said shouldn't be compared with anyone else. It's easy to get fixated on speeds and forget to enjoy yourself. After all, if you get a nice day with little wind, sunshine and spring smells in the air, why not slow down to enjoy it?

Part time cyclist

Über Member
On a long run I now average 15-16 mph on a short training ride I have increased to 19 mph but that has taken lots of sweat and miles, just go out enjoy your ride and push yourself a little harder and achieve a little every time

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Don't worry about average speeds, and definitely don't try to race during your commute. 13mph seems a perfectly respectable speed to me (I average a fraction under that on a tourer but my average speeds vary massively due to luggage, wind, temperature, what I feel like that day, etc.). Try not to let target chasing get in the way of enjoying cycling.:smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Like above, if commuting DO NOT go for an average speed goal. It's stupidly dangerous and if you want to get speed on, do it when clear. If traffic is bad slow down.

You can only really get an average over a planned circuit route out of rush hour/traffic.

Top Bottom