what stops the axle from moving?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

02GF74

Über Member
I've fitted a Shimano hollowtech II chainset on a friend's bike but cannot figure out what stops the axle moving from side to side.

The axle is fixed to the RH crank and this is pushed through the hole in the bearing, see bottom of photo, which screws into the frame's bottom bracket.

Then the other bearing is fitted which slides over the hollow axle. I don't recall there being a shoulder on the axle to stop is moving side-to-side, so why doesn't it?

Maybe there is a shoulder since the kit is supplied with spacers for different BB widths - I managed to screw t the LH bearing so it was flush against the BB.

007e_1.JPG

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
You have to get the frame faced before fitting hII chainsets, this stops the bearings wearing out.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Gerry Attrick said:
You have to screw in a small plastic end cap into the left hand crank using a specially shaped tool, e.g. http://www.parker-international.co....h-II-Crank-Fitting-Tool.html?referrer=froogle. When this is screwed in finger tight, it takes up any end play. You then tighten the crank arm socket screws which both locks the crank to the spindle and prevents the end cap moving.

+1

Smokin Joe said:
So they say, but I have my doubts.

It dose by 0.89%:smile: So that's why they say it (but it is S88T) if the BB was out so far to f88k up the bearings you could not get in the RH crank.

OP
OP
02GF74

02GF74

Über Member
not sure I understand :smile:

Below is how it appears to me. The LH crank fits onto the splined end and clamped up using 2 bolts. As I recall, the plastic cap fits into the LH crank so at best it stops the LH crank from moving further inwards. .... but I still do not see what is stopping the axle from moving sides ways (L to R in diagram) as I don't recall seeing any shoulder on the axle.

i.e. the left bit can move L to R inside the red bits.

The only way the axle could be held in place is if the cranks go right up against the bearing cups but then that would cause t he cranks to rub on the cups, which would wear so there will be end play.

I'm sure it is really obvious ......

skwerl

02GF74 said:
not sure I understand ;)

Below is how it appears to me. The LH crank fits onto the splined end and clamped up using 2 bolts. As I recall, the plastic cap fits into the LH crank so at best it stops the LH crank from moving further inwards. .... but I still do not see what is stopping the axle from moving sides ways (L to R in diagram) as I don't recall seeing any shoulder on the axle.

i.e. the left bit can move L to R inside the red bits.

The only way the axle could be held in place is if the cranks go right up against the bearing cups but then that would cause t he cranks to rub on the cups, which would wear so there will be end play.

I'm sure it is really obvious ......

I think it works exactly as you describe. When assembled the crank arms create a slight interference fit with a rubber sealing ring. Eventually that will wear I suppose. I imagine there will be a very small amount of sideways movement of the installed cranks/BB axle

Top Bottom