What strange things have you done on your commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
As I work from home, my commute isn't going into work but to University for a part-time course. Late summer last year I was cycling along the road picking up roadkill onions that had just been harvested and had rolled off the truck round the bends in the road. I popped them in my panniers, then I made a big pot of soup with them when I got home. I was actually grabbing them whilst still pedalling along, I got about 15 in total, really decent onions too!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Helping catch an escaped dog. He'd got out onto Crewe Green road (a very busy road). The cars stopped, but as ever, the drivers just sat there waiting for someone else to sort things out. The dog's owners and I rounded him up and got a leash on him.

silverbow

Auntie Helen said:
As I work from home, my commute isn't going into work but to University for a part-time course. Late summer last year I was cycling along the road picking up roadkill onions that had just been harvested and had rolled off the truck round the bends in the road. I popped them in my panniers, then I made a big pot of soup with them when I got home. I was actually grabbing them whilst still pedalling along, I got about 15 in total, really decent onions too!

I did the onion thing too last year. Phew! I thought I was the only one!

Plenty of sugarbeet on the roads here if anyone wants some!;)

This morning, I had to search for a lost guide dog.

On a similiar theme I once stopped and helped a blind guy across a busy intersection that had no pedestrian lights then. I'd seen him wait for help before, which is how I knew he needed it.

thomas

the tank engine
Not really strange and not on a commute, but some lady had broken down in the middle of the junction for a roundabout. I went past then decided to go back and help push her out of the way. Car drivers were just driving up on the kerb around her. One car tried getting around her and me and I was going to rest my bike down to help her so I quickly pushed my bike into the gap and made him wait.

I'll admit I was worried I'd make a fool of myself, but it was fine :biggrin:. No one else offered to help other than the one person who could filter past her just fine :blush:

Found a wallet once on a tour and cycled 10 miles out my way to a police station.

Like Thomas, stopped a few times to help push a car.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Strangest (but best) thing I've done on a commute:

Meeting first thing, so folded clothes into panniers, left cycle kit in spare room (no point waking the house), got a nice early night. Woke up, somewhat groggy, hopped onto the bike, set off on auto-pilot...

...to my favourite scenic lane, and took in a 62 mile tour of Kent and East Sussex.

Arriving back at midday, I was surprised to find my wife wasn't at home, given it was a Saturday... hang about. Oh hell! Cue hurried phone call to work and an extra few miles.

Those of you that know Kent will know it can be quite unforgiving to a touring recumbent. My recommendation, don't take a business suit along with you.

Strangest (but worst) thing I've done on a commute:

Steered towards Anerley.

CotterPin

That's great, arallsop - "I meant to go to work today!" ;)

I can't recall anything strange that happened on my commute, but I do recall a lost dog incident on a ride I was leading near Sandy in Bedfordshire. Half a dozen of us and the owner trying to coax the animal out of a railway cutting and back onto the bridge. To add to the scene, it was pouring with rain!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Other than telling a guy last month that he'd lost his panniers..... I'd ridden like a looney to see a bloke on the pavement on the phone with his bike.........slammed on.... just managed to gasp.......... "they are down there by the lights....." ..another good deed for the day........

gbb

Legendary Member
Another blind person incident ;)
We have the RNIB base in Peterboro, so its not unusual to see people with white sticks going to and fro.
Rode up a street one day to see one guy tapping along the kerb....on the road :bravo:
'need any help ?'

He'd lost his bearings completely and couldnt get back on track. Got him back on the path, walked alongside for 1/2 mile explaining the landmarks until he was back on track.

My dads blind....i know you have to pace things out. You build a picture in your mind of the route. Its fine until something goes wrong...then you dont know where the hell you are

just jim

I once followed a motorist with her car keys (spare ones..go figure?) still stuck in the boot lock. I caught her at the lights, pulled them out and knocked on her window. One of those moments!

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I once helped to round up half a dozen bullocks that had escaped and were gallivanting about in the road.

Another time, I managed to catch a pony that had escaped. It had been happy grazing on the verge until something spooked it and it started prancing about in the road, running back and forth as people tried to pass it coming both ways. Fortunately, it had a head collar on.

Funny how people really don't like getting out of their cars to help their fellow drivers in these situations.

Top Bottom