What to get next?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scotmitchy

I have a 1 year old hybrid bike, a Trek 7.3wsd. I've moved up to doing 20-30 mile trips relatively comfortably, maybe once a week for them and two or three smaller trips (commuting) each week.

There are lots of things I love about the trek, but I find myself enviously gazing at 'proper' cyclists with their drop bar road bikes etc.

So, if I am goign to buy another under the C2W scheme, so that I have a choice of bike types for conditions, what should I be looking for.

I am fairly convinced I want clipless pedals and shoes (LBS will advise on what, or you guys can), but what kind of bike.

I almost exclusively travel on the road or good paths, but would love to up my speed (I currently average about 10mph).

Is it true that swapping to clipless will boost this. Will swapping to a road bike also help?

I would like to spend around £500 on the bike.

Thanks.

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
Hi Mitchy

Maybe a cyclo-cross bike will be more suited to your needs like This one, it has a more relaxed riding style than a full on road bike (Which will help you progress from the hybrid) plus you can add racks and panniers.

Added are brakes on the top of the drops which will also help you adapt to the change from the hybrid, it's a good all round bike for both road and off road use down a few rough cycle paths.

I had a good look at one in EBC the other day and was rather impressed with the bike, I might be tempted to buy one myself (as a winter hack of course) :whistle:

Once you go clipless you'll never return to normal pedals again, the difference is amazing :thumbsup:

Hope it helps

Norm

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I presume that you're going to keep the Trek. That will be fine for short trips and off-roading. Concentrate on getting a bike for the road.

The only question you have to ask yourself is whether or not you want to carry stuff - either for work, or for touring. If you do then go for a lightweight touring bike with lugs for racks. If you don't then go for the lightest, smoothest road bike you can afford. Go for smooth gearing rather than clunky spread out gearing, and aim for carbon forks. You're a lightweight yourself, so keeping the weight of the bike down is vital. Anything over 23mm tyres (which will suffice on gravel paths) would be a mistake. 35mm tyres are ridiculous and should be suppressed by the police.

If you go for a bike that wants to be all things you'll be exactly where you are now - looking at people like me swanning effortlessly past you.

There's not anything from Ridgeback in your price range, but the Decathlon Triban 5 http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/triban-5-172072740/#INFO-DETAIL looks good on paper and good in the flesh.

Top Bottom