1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What wattage do you think you put out?

Discussion in 'Training, Fitness and Health' started by Crackle, 21 Apr 2008.

1. Crackle

Crackle Pah Staff Member

Well as I don't have a powermeter I don't know. But using this site

http://www.kreuzotter.de/english/espeed.htm

you can get a bit of an estimate. So using some of my ride data, I figure

Max sustainable output is about 250watts (using a hill gradient I know)
    Average output is about 136 watts (using a few flattish rides I do)

Which all in all seems quite paltry :biggrin: No wonder I need lower gears. Not quite in the Chris Hoy/Victoria Pendleton league. What do you get?

2. Sh4rkyBloke

Sh4rkyBloke Jaffa Cake monster

I punched in data for sea level, no wind, no slope, cadence of 90 and the correct stuff for my height/weight etc.

I then chose 20.5mph which is my best average for the last 5 miles of my trip home (took a while before the gps picked up the satellites on my just under 6 mile trip home one day, now I start it running at the same place so I can compare)..

It said 356 Watts. :smile:

From memory the hour record attempt book (Michael Hutchinson IIRC) talked about averaging 450 Watts..... it seems I've some way to go. :biggrin:

3. yenrod

yenrod Guest

Good link!

4. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

I don't have a power meter and can't be arsed to do any calculations, but I'd take a rough guess at 2.3 kW.

5. Jacomus-rides-Gen

Jacomus-rides-Gen New Member

2.3kW pah!

I put out 1000TWe

6. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

Nice, is that why they scrapped the wind turbines then?

7. RedBike

RedBike New Member

Using the I-magic I can average about 300w for 30minsl but this is a HARD effort.

Well I could of sworn it was 300watts but you've got me questioning this with your max output being 250w

8. OP
    OP
    Crackle

Crackle Pah Staff Member

So if you put in your I-magic ride do you get the same wattage back from the website?

Also that max is a sustainable one i.e. it's over a hill climb, I'm probably capable of peaking a bit higher. The average was over a 41 mile loop. I have no idea how accurate that website is and you may well be a much stronger rider than me.

9. Since I fitted a cadence sensor I've only had one ride on that bike a 29 miler along the coast/ nearly flat that ride calculates at 271w. Using the same cadence and using a 2% grade for yesterday's ride 57miles (The Edge says a max of 14%) on my flat bar was apparently 1.555 Kw. I missed typed an entry, it should have been 307w :smile:
    I'll be playing about with the site for a while :biggrin: