What would you do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Imagine the following scenario:

On your regular commute there is a stretch of road of about 75m/100m where the near-kerb road surface (out to maybe 1.5m) is rapidly deteriorating with potholes etc. To ride over this you would need to substantially reduce your speed but it would still jar your bike all over the place – it would not be nice.

Your choices are to ride well out which will stop any following vehicles overtaking (traffic is bumper-to-bumper in the other direction) or use an off-road cycle path to your left. The cycle path, as usual, is fragmented by crossing side-roads and again your speed would be significantly reduced.

I choose to ride on the road – typically at +20mph on this section. Sometimes this is fine. Other times, like today, you get a continual horn blowing muppet and load of abuse from the muppet’s passenger (note that I pointed to the crap road surface as we went along to explain what I was doing and gave them a nice cheery wave as a thanks for the abuse).

Watt-O

Watt-o posing in Athens
Give them the finger.

gbb

Legendary Member
It'd be the cycle path for me for the following reasons...
Drivers for the most part wont realise why you're in the middle of the road, and it could bring you into unneccessary conflict with them.
Why risk potentially ruining the bike or wheels.
So it's going to be a bit slower...enjoy it, and you dont have to worry about the potholes and conflict with drivers.
The potholes will probably be done soon...then you can continue as normal.

Defy78

As long as it's just beeping and shouting and no physical danger then I'd stay on the road and hold my position. You'd probably find that if the road was fine and you were in 2ndry they'd still be beeping and shouting 'cos you're still too far out for them. Riding at 20mph you'll be through the section in about 10secs not really that long to hold up traffic, if you actually are? I bet they beep get argro then overtake and go join the back of the next que of motons, convinced that you have held them up not the cars in front :biggrin:

Origamist

Legendary Member
What is the limit on the road? You might want to gesture to a trailing car the reason why you've moved into the centre of lane (point down or something) - also keep an eye out behind you and be prepared to duck left.

Lurker

Have you reported the potholes as a safety hazard? Local authority + CTC's fill that hole, so that you have a third party record of having reported them.

Not that it's the potholes' fault for the type of hazard you mention, but it's probably going to be easier and quicker to mend those than to change the mindset of some of your fellow roadusers....

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
There is a section of road near me that I've reported many times that's probably 500 yards long and is breaking up (subsidence and slippage actually - known problem in the area) - I have to ride in primary along it.

Problem - it's on a 40 mph road.

Solution.... it's down hill, so I end up hammering down it. Not a good solution, but stops any cars hooting as I'm doing 40 anyway.....;)

TBH it's very dangerous - if any cyclist comes off, then the council will be in big trouble, as it's been reported that many times..... anyone want the location if you fancy some compo.....:smile: although the falling off might hurt rather alot. :hello:

Watt-O said:
Give them the finger.

Well said F**K em

Seriously we are talking about a distance of 100m, probably takes you around 10 seconds or so to cover it. Ride well out in primary, at 20mph its to dangerous to be on shared paths with other hazards.

potsy

Rambler
Think I'd use the cycle path alien8,not gonna slow you downtoo much is it over the whole commute,and you can have a breather.
I've just reported a similar problem at fillthathole,1/4 mile stretch pothole strewn right in the cyclist's line,no cycle path for me to use so just hold a good line and make the buggers wait:smile:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I have a similar bit of road, what tends to stop the horn blowing behind me is if I point to the bit of road, and then make a surfing the waves motion with my left hand to show the bumpiness.

Coco

Smash their wing mirror ;)

Nah, but we're only talking about 11 seconds here. Who is in so much of a hurry that 11 seconds is going to change their life? Unreasonable and impatient. Stay on the road.

neslon

No question, stay on the road. They only stand to gain a few seconds & the majority wil understand. F*** the rest.

Top Bottom