What would you do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flyingfox

My bike that I reported stolen on here yesterday, is definitely up for sale on Gumtree by someone who lives around Blackheath. I've just discovered the photo the guy used has been taken from a review of the bike by someone in the States (hence the handlebars and saddle are different to the ones I put on).

I've given the police all the information, but they just say 'we'll look into it', meanwhile he could sell it to someone and the opportunity of nicking the guy has passed. I know the burglary squad have probably got bigger fish to fry, but it is so frustrating.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Go round to view it with some big mates ?

Go round to view it with some big mates ?

Actually, that's not a bad idea. You could ring the seller and ask to view the bike as a potential buyer, just don't mention anything about your suspicions of course.

Once you've seen the bike in the flesh, if it's definately yours, make your excuses and leave. Immediately contact the police ( quoting your crime number) and tell them you've located the bike and ask for an officer to meet you near the premises.

OP
OP
Flyingfox

Flyingfox

Actually, that's not a bad idea. You could ring the seller and ask to view the bike as a potential buyer, just don't mention anything about your suspicions of course.

Once you've seen the bike in the flesh, if it's definately yours, make your excuses and leave. Immediately contact the police ( quoting your crime number) and tell them you've located the bike and ask for an officer to meet you near the premises.

Yes I've thought of that, but he could be one of those thieves that will only meet you near a tube or station. Police told me not to, but I just want my bike back, and if they are not going to do anything..........................

e-rider

crappy member
if the police are not going to act fast, then it might be down to you. I know if it was me I'd be round there to bash the guy as bike theft makes me unbelievably angry. However, we all know that many theives are complete nutters and wouldn't think twice about stickin a blade in you! So probably not worth risking your life over a bike no matter how much you want it back. Call the police again and tell them to do something NOW!

col

Legendary Member
Take a set of dud car and house keys and an old wallet with some bits and peices in, ask for a test ride leaving these with them, and dont go back.^_^

Peteaud

Veteran
Call plod and tell them your going round there with a dodgy rear foglite on your car, watch the entire force turn out to solve the crime.

In all honesty, be careful, its not worth getting stabbed over. I would see if you can view the bike and call the police again.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Himself will call Flyingfox, but they are up to their eyes for the next couple of days.

OP
OP
Flyingfox

Flyingfox

Latest update is that unfortunately it was all too late.
The police rang the guy today pretending to be interested and he sold it yesterday! With a bit of luck it was sold locally and I may spot it as it is a very distinctive bike.
On the plus side the burglary now have a fair idea where he lives and are going to get a warrant as he is selling other nicked stuff online.
Thanks for all you support, I guess it's time to look for a new bike!

Top Bottom