What's the best Hardtail to buy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moss

Hi All,

I'm in the market for a new (or possibly used) Hardtail Bike, would like to keep it under a Grand (£1000) or look for special offers, end of season sales etc, must be a lightweight! I'd been thinking of maybe a GT Zaskar? but, would appreciate any (Sensible) Suggestions on make and model?

Will be used for Trail, Cross Country and some mountain riding.

Thanks

M

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Hi All,

I'm in the market for a new (or possibly used) Hardtail Bike, would like to keep it under a Grand (£1000) or look for special offers, end of season sales etc, must be a lightweight! I'd been thinking of maybe a GT Zaskar? but, would appreciate any (Sensible) Suggestions on make and model?

Will be used for Trail, Cross Country and some mountain riding.

Thanks

M

This article may help you.

Tat_

i to am looking for a hardtail bike. I have looed on lots of forums, spoken to loads of MTB riders and read reviews. i only intend to ride trail and XC and i am about to buy a http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOO456TR/on-one-456-trail-slx, its got good components, a good reputation and to be completely honest the more you look the more there is to consider.
So for about a grand i think this is ok.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
i to am looking for a hardtail bike. I have looed on lots of forums, spoken to loads of MTB riders and read reviews. i only intend to ride trail and XC and i am about to buy a http://www.on-one.co...e-456-trail-slx, its got good components, a good reputation and to be completely honest the more you look the more there is to consider.

Looks like a sweet bike :smile:

OP
OP
M

Moss

Some of the hardtails in the reviews weigh in at a heavy 28LB, I'm looking for a durable lightweight! I climb hills where-ever I go, living in a hilly and mountanous area. Anyone know the weight of a GT Zaskar complete bike?

smithy92

i to am looking for a hardtail bike. I have looed on lots of forums, spoken to loads of MTB riders and read reviews. i only intend to ride trail and XC and i am about to buy a http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOO456TR/on-one-456-trail-slx, its got good components, a good reputation and to be completely honest the more you look the more there is to consider.

Do you need 150mm travel for trail/xc? I'm currently running rockshox reba race at 100mm and have never thought "i wish i had more travel", this years boardman mtb pro has 120mm reba's on it and the adjustable (better) avid elixir R brakes. SRAM x.9 2x10 drivetrain.

Or if you prefer the shimano groupsets what about the Voodoo Wanga with 140mm revelation? And SLX?

Both bikes retail at 1k and I know where they come from will put some people off (halfords) but they dont HAVE to put it together for you, and their website regularly runs 10% off voodoo/boardman, at least a couple of times a month.

Scott Scale 30 or 35 (carbon). You may pick one up second hand for around a grand depending on age.

Absolutely fantastic bike, I just love mine.:thumbsup:

Theres a couple on Ebay at the moment. A nice scale 20 at a good price too.

jethro10

Über Member
OP
OP
M

Moss

Do you need 150mm travel for trail/xc? I'm currently running rockshox reba race at 100mm and have never thought "i wish i had more travel", this years boardman mtb pro has 120mm reba's on it and the adjustable (better) avid elixir R brakes. SRAM x.9 2x10 drivetrain.

Or if you prefer the shimano groupsets what about the Voodoo Wanga with 140mm revelation? And SLX?

Both bikes retail at 1k and I know where they come from will put some people off (halfords) but they dont HAVE to put it together for you, and their website regularly runs 10% off voodoo/boardman, at least a couple of times a month.

Just like you! I think 100mm, of travel on some air forks is enough! Boardman and Voodo get some good reviews. It's something to consider!

Thanks

M

OP
OP
M

Moss

Scott Scale 30 or 35 (carbon). You may pick one up second hand for around a grand depending on age.

Absolutely fantastic bike, I just love mine.:thumbsup:

Theres a couple on Ebay at the moment. A nice scale 20 at a good price too.

Me too!! I really do like the Scott Scale Bikes! I'll have a look at the 20, on eBay.

Cheers

M

OP
OP
M

Moss

Rose, a big German I think, direct seller are starting to make a push into the UK, and are pricing aggressively to get a foot hold, so currently a bargain

I like this one for £722
http://www.rosebikes...011-/aid:435327
Only 11.4kg, Air forks, DT Swiss wheels and Avid Elixr 5 brakes. Have no idea how they do it.

or it's 11.1Kg big brother for £950 perhaps
http://www.rosebikes...011-/aid:435310

Jeff

First time for me to hear of this make! I'll certainly take a look at them! Thanks for the links.

M

Zoiders

The current Specialized range and namely a Rockhopper fits the bill, good spec, upgradable, other than that Boardman as mentioned or the Voodoo frames with the sliding drop outs so it can double up as a SS/Fixed for winter commutes.

Ten years or more ago back when GT were GT and not a minion of a big consumer products group I would have said get a Zaskar. I had a pre-take over GT Backwoods with the same frame and it was brilliant, these days though they just don't have the resale value and the spec always seems just a little bit off.

On-ones look nice and ride well but they weep rust out of the head tube gussets and the welds rot out, having your head tube separate as you ride is not a good thing.

Top Bottom